Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Jetting question

7 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm currently running 162 mains in my 582. Since the weather has warmed up I'm only running about 1050-1100 on my EGT's when I'm out cruising around at 5800-6000rpm. I'm putting a set of 160's in tomorrow to lean it out a bit. I have my needle clip on the top notch because my mid range was running hot. I know the mains only do their job when wide open but I've also heard they influence other settings. Think I should move my needle back to the second notch like the jetting chart says or leave it alone and run it and see what it does?

Posted

I'm currently running 162 mains in my 582. Since the weather has warmed up I'm only running about 1050-1100 on my EGT's when I'm out cruising around at 5800-6000rpm. I'm putting a set of 160's in tomorrow to lean it out a bit. I have my needle clip on the top notch because my mid range was running hot. I know the mains only do their job when wide open but I've also heard they influence other settings. Think I should move my needle back to the second notch like the jetting chart says or leave it alone and run it and see what it does?

Im not for sure Joey but if you have your clip on the top groove I think you are in your leanest setting already, I my be wrong. Seems like if it were in the top notch that it would have the needle farther into the jet making it get less fuel at the mid range.The guy I bought my engine from had them set in the 3rd groove and his field elevation was around 2200 I believe.Of course Im sure he changed for the different temps. Hows your new engine working, I see some big ones on Barnstormers that Rick sells 618 and 670, I wonder how reliable they are? Randy

Posted

What is your max straight and level RPM? What is your static max RPM? Before I leaned the top end out too much, I would see if your prop pitch is dead on as too much pitch will drop your EGT's. HP has it right, if your on the top clip on the needle your leaned out all the way on the mid range now so that could be why the mid range was running hot.

:BC:

Posted

What is your max straight and level RPM? What is your static max RPM? Before I leaned the top end out too much, I would see if your prop pitch is dead on as too much pitch will drop your EGT's. HP has it right, if your on the top clip on the needle your leaned out all the way on the mid range now so that could be why the mid range was running hot.

I think it's on the bottom clip then... I forget.. I know it cooled off the midrange almost 50 degrees when I moved it so I must of went the right way. I'm running 6350 on take-off and straight and level I can hit 6500 pretty easily in level flight. Turning plenty of RPM's. Cruising at 5500ft and 6000 rpm my EGT's were only 1050. I emailed Rotax Rick and he's trying to sell me one of his 670's. I bet they are a beast.

Posted

RPM are about perfect. Gotta be the mid range needle. If you are running 162 on the mains I wold not bugger with it too much.

Posted

Swapped to the 160's today. My grey head had 159's in it. During my static run up I had to let out of it at 6700. I added a degree of pitch and flew it but was only getting 6150 in the climb. I took just a smidge out to get me back to 6500 static and 6300 in the climb. I picked up 100fpm climb and 5mph in cruise. My EGTs are now running at about 1150 during a 5800-6K cruise instead of 1050-1100. Mid range is the same.. had to adjust the idle slightly after the pitch change. Tedious process but it runs better for sure.

Posted

Swapped to the 160's today. My grey head had 159's in it. During my static run up I had to let out of it at 6700. I added a degree of pitch and flew it but was only getting 6150 in the climb. I took just a smidge out to get me back to 6500 static and 6300 in the climb. I picked up 100fpm climb and 5mph in cruise. My EGTs are now running at about 1150 during a 5800-6K cruise instead of 1050-1100. Mid range is the same.. had to adjust the idle slightly after the pitch change. Tedious process but it runs better for sure.

Not doubting u too much, but are those numbers bass akwards? your climb RPM should be more than the static on the ground cause the prop unloads. :dunno: