Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Instrument Panel markings

12 posts in this topic

Posted

The instrument panel in the KF III is actually 2-piece, the standard 'small' panel itself which fits in the poly panel fuel tank recess and receives the instruments, and the panel fascia which covers the rest of the fuel tank. I made up a new panel facsia in cream white (like Cub J3 instruments) and will repaint the small panel in black.

I will need to add new panel markings to both, but the typical homebuilt decal sets from ACS and the like strike me as a waste since so many decals are not applicable and I would need to buy two sets due to the two-tone panel. They actually don't include what I want anyways. I know several have custom labels or placards made but I'm looking for a budget alternative.

My research has led me to 'laser water-slide decal paper', like this. Comes in black or white, which I need and seems simple to use. Any body have experience or able to provide insight how this might work? Probably preclude the use of wrinkle black paint on the panel though. Thoughts?

Posted

My yellow plane has, and I plan on using on my 1200 rebuild, regular "P-Touch" plastic labels. They stick well, are totally customizable and are water resistant.

Posted

Agree they look great but one reason I'm liking the decal printer paper is the ability/flexbility to produce more than simple two-line lettering labels. For example, think of round background graphics for the face on a Main and Aux fuel selector valve, or even reproduction color logo decals etc.

Posted

Agree they look great but one reason I'm liking the decal printer paper is the ability/flexbility to produce more than simple two-line lettering labels. For example, think of round background graphics for the face on a Main and Aux fuel selector valve, or even reproduction color logo decals etc.

I know alot of guys that use this on model airplanes, but never thought about it for doing the pannel. I would wonder how it will hold up unless you shoot a clear over the top when you are done. If you do go with it give us a reports and let us know how it turned out. you should be able to make some pretty trick labels with it!

:BC:

Posted

Well Leni, I'll never make this a beauty fox but it doesn't take much time to slap a little lipstick on a pig eh? Last night I ripped all the instruments out and sprayed a little matte black on the small panel. I'm just going to try a low-tech lettering solution on the light part first, ie., laser printer on a clear shipping label with some clearcoat. If it looks too cheesy I'll probably try the decals. In any event, that old wood style had to go...

post-53-12755761107791_thumb.jpg

Posted

I want to mark ground and in-flight fuel levels of the dash tank through the site window on the panel. What's the best way to simulate flight attitude, ie., level using lower door sill, wing spars at a particular rib out etc.?

Posted

I want to mark ground and in-flight fuel levels of the dash tank through the site window on the panel. What's the best way to simulate flight attitude, ie., level using lower door sill, wing spars at a particular rib out etc.?

I'd level at the door sill.

Posted

Thanks for the reply Larry, and that's exactly what I did. Unfortunately, after going through the entire calibration procedure I'm really thinking this was wrong and I should have leveled for flight attitude using the horizontal stab. I base that on a pic of another KF-III panel with fuel graduations I found in another site gallery and pasted below. If you compare that panel and mine for the fuel level graduations, you can see what I mean. Admittedly, that could be wrong but it got me thinking. Also, my h.stab is in the lower of three forward position holes, and I wonder how much altering that down the road might effect the graduations I do now.

At any rate, back to the panel markings overall... I just printed reverse images on clear shipping labels and clear-coated after applying. Originally, clear or white fonts in a black filled text box didn't show very well when put on the black panel, so I just strategically scraped a little black paint off the panel before positioning the label to allow the bare aluminum to show through the lettering. Seems better, not too bright but easily read. The N-number is brighter, I used a white backer for that and it really stands out. I put a speeds reference chart label on the right side and an SPA sticker on the left, to cover a few dumb-thumbprints in not quite dry paint, and clear-coated everything.

I also made a GPS mount for the new panel, installed a headrack mount for the remote antenna and did a bunch of wiring clean-up when running the power. The plane came with a King-Bendix KX99 portable transceiver which is set up for the left side of the panel, I'm toying with switching positions with the GPS. The old Garmin screen is so damn small and it is right at that distance where the reading glasses start to fade out. I've dropped a few Father's Day hints for a Aera 500, not holding my breath lol.

Overall, freshening up the panel took longer than anticipated but I've convinced myself it was worth the $0.00 cost and effort... at least until I redo the flight fuel calibration... again... :blink:

post-53-12765255567252_thumb.jpg

post-53-12765255646332_thumb.jpg

post-53-12765255795314_thumb.jpg

post-53-12765255895858_thumb.jpg

post-53-12765256768271_thumb.jpg

post-53-12765257357453_thumb.jpg

Posted

Thanks for the reply Larry, and that's exactly what I did. Unfortunately, after going through the entire calibration procedure I'm really thinking this was wrong and I should have leveled for flight attitude using the horizontal stab. I base that on a pic of another KF-III panel with fuel graduations I found in another site gallery and pasted below. If you compare that panel and mine for the fuel level graduations, you can see what I mean. Admittedly, that could be wrong but it got me thinking. Also, my h.stab is in the lower of three forward position holes, and I wonder how much altering that down the road might effect the graduations I do now.

At any rate, back to the panel markings overall... I just printed reverse images on clear shipping labels and clear-coated after applying. Originally, clear or white fonts in a black filled text box didn't show very well when put on the black panel, so I just strategically scraped a little black paint off the panel before positioning the label to allow the bare aluminum to show through the lettering. Seems better, not too bright but easily read. The N-number is brighter, I used a white backer for that and it really stands out. I put a speeds reference chart label on the right side and an SPA sticker on the left, to cover a few dumb-thumbprints in not quite dry paint, and clear-coated everything.

I also made a GPS mount for the new panel, installed a headrack mount for the remote antenna and did a bunch of wiring clean-up when running the power. The plane came with a King-Bendix KX99 portable transceiver which is set up for the left side of the panel, I'm toying with switching positions with the GPS. The old Garmin screen is so damn small and it is right at that distance where the reading glasses start to fade out. I've dropped a few Father's Day hints for a Aera 500, not holding my breath lol.

Overall, freshening up the panel took longer than anticipated but I've convinced myself it was worth the $0.00 cost and effort... at least until I redo the flight fuel calibration... again... :blink:

Looking good! When you planning on putting it in the air for the first time?

:BC:

Posted

Good enough. I like the K.I.S.S. panel but realized no room to put the electric gear switch and indicator lights. Should be out and about soon, waiting for some new fuel line, nuts n' bolts etc. Oh, and a registration might be good, insurance is another matter. :dunno: Fellow member Russ and the A&P who will do the annual condition inspections did a quick pre-delivery check and found no major squawks. The A&P also owns an Avid and has been doing another buddy's KF-III condition inspections so he knows what to look for. I did tear it apart at home according to the Kitfox Annual Inspection checklist and the only issue that needs resolved before flight is no fuel flow from the aux wing tank with both valves open. Will get into that when the fuel line gets here. Until then, norm engine maint. ie, changing gearbox oil, dexcool and plugs. Working on some temp hanger space at a turf strip just up the road too, would like to get in and go without trailering for the first few months. I'll even take a tie down, plane came with a full canvas cover set hardly (ever?) used.

post-53-12765424312968_thumb.jpg

post-53-12765424400099_thumb.jpg

Posted

Overall, freshening up the panel took longer than anticipated but I've convinced myself it was worth the $0.00 cost and effort... at least until I redo the flight fuel calibration... again... blink.gif

Posted

Hey Doug,

Looks better than the wood panel. I bet I know whats under the Sea Plane decal.tongue.gif Russ.