Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

A glimpse into Dean Wilsons workshop

7 posts in this topic

Posted

I had the distinct pleasure of spending an hour in Dean Wilsons workshop today. I'm home visiting in Idaho and he is an old family friend. His current project Curtis Pusher project from the early 1900's. They are at around 5000 hours and counting on this. Every piece was handmade from an incomplete set of plans. The workmanship is amazing. The pics speak for themselves....

IMG_0080.jpg

IMG_0067-1.jpg

IMG_0068.jpg

The man at work

IMG_0070.jpg

Some of his accomplishments

IMG_0076.jpg

Awesome shot

IMG_0079-1.jpg

IMG_0077.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

IMG_0082.jpg

Posted

He definately does some awesome work,we are having a fly-in in July, he will be invited,hope he comes.A friend of mine knows him and he said that he is a true genuine fellow.We probably wouldnt have a light sport class if it wasnt for him.Randy

Posted

Joey- these are really some awesome pics of Dean's 1909 Curtiss Model D Pusher replica, thanks for sharing! I knew he was working on this after reading an interesting thread about a 1911 Curtiss Pusher project on the EAA's Oshkosh365 website a while back. I actually live a short crow hop and splash from the Curtiss Museum on Keuka Lake in Hammondsport, in fact, several in my H2O pilot group are active in the Museum's restoration shop and building Curtiss replicas. There is a Schultz drawing based Curtiss Model D-IV replica hanging in the airport at ROC, but their crowning achievement was building and flying a replica of the 1914 Curtiss flying boat "America" a couple of years ago. Did you know Curtiss pioneered in the design of seaplanes and flying boats and is remembered today as the Father of Naval Aviation and, to the great chagrin of the Wright Brothers, the founder of the American Aircraft Industry. I highly recommend a visit to the Curtiss Museum website as it is a facinating glimpse into both early aviation and the genius of one man whose talents led to many notable accomplishments with lasting impact (kinda like Dean!).

Posted

Holy shnikeys i want his work shop and 1-100th of the talent that man has! One of these days I may get the chance to meet him when he cmes up here for his summer trips.. or at a fly in down there. He truely revolutionized the home build industry and gave us one hell of a fun bird to fly!

:BC: < to the man behind the dream

Posted

I was home over the weekend and this made the front page of the Sunday paper..very cool. I have the high res pics that went into the paper. I'll post them when I get time.

Posted

Dug up this thread to show somebody and realized I never went back and posted the pics so here they are a year later!

CP14.jpg

CP4.jpg

CP7.jpg

CP8.jpg

CP9-1.jpg

CP11.jpg