Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Decals?

10 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I think the N Number needs to be 3" tall and square Block numbers, But does the Experimental decal also need to be the square block letters Or can I choose any font, the reason I am asking is because I am ready to have a lady make me some stencils for this stuff,

Edited by TJay

Posted

I think experimental can pretty much be anything . I've seen a couple done different ways. 

Posted

If you are not a member of the EAA having a question like this is just one of many reasons that it's worth the cost of membership. Their website is a gold mine of information when it comes to homebuilts. Here is a great article that should be required reading for anyone with an Experimental. Long story short they have to be located near the entrance to the cockpit and be a minimum of 2" tall.

https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/aviation-communities-and-interests/homebuilt-aircraft-and-homebuilt-aircraft-kits/resources-for-while-youre-building/building-articles/cockpit-and-cabin-interior/markings-placards-numbers

Posted

The EAA used to offer a complete package of all the markings you could possibly need including the data plate - probably still does.   EDMO

Posted

All I have ever seen is block. Same with restricted aircraft.

Posted (edited)

I think the N Number needs to be 3" tall and square Block numbers, But does the Experimental decal also need to be the square block letters Or can I choose any font, the reason I am asking is because I am ready to have a lady make me some stencils for this stuff,

Your N-numbers do not have to be square - They can be slanted.  (FAR 45?)  The 12" numbers can be slanted.

I would say that if the "Experimental" letters are 2" high and the average person can read it, then it is legal.   If you have a good contact with your DAR I would ask his opinion before ordering decals.   I would be interested in what you find out.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

Talked to my Local DAR last night here is his exact words,

Read FAR 45, in detail 45.21.  2 inch letters are required for the experimental placard.  No ornamentation is the defining statement.  That allows for other fonts as long as they are not ornamental such as Old English, shadow fonts or scrolled artsy crafty stuff.

1 person likes this

Posted

For the "EXPERIMENTAL" placard FAR 45.23B covers that. FAR 45.21 covers nationality markings. For more interesting reading I suggest you look at Advisory Circulars 45-2E and 45-4. 45-4 deals with markings mainly for S-LSA and E-LSA aircraft, but is well written and covers the same info that the A/C for larger aircraft does. Keep in mind A/C's are advisory in nature but are considered acceptable  to the administrator. Mike

2 people like this

Posted

ppilotmike thanks for the AC 45-4 reference, timely for me. Learned you leave the SLSA placard on when adding the ELSA placard.

Posted (edited)

ppilotmike thanks for the AC 45-4 reference, timely for me. Learned you leave the SLSA placard on when adding the ELSA placard.

So how is your side going to read, "LIGHT SPORT EXPERIMENTAL"?  I don't know how a SLSA is marked.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO