Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

New BeLite 2 place

38 posts in this topic

Posted

I was not aware of Jim Weir's prior electronics career. Certainly makes sense now though, I've noticed a -very- steady stream of electronic products out of Belite over the past several years. Some of those have been truly innovative IMO, pretty neat stuff.

Posted (edited)

I was not aware of Jim Weir's prior electronics career. Certainly makes sense now though, I've noticed a -very- steady stream of electronic products out of Belite over the past several years. Some of those have been truly innovative IMO, pretty neat stuff.

I was not aware of Jim Weir being connected with Belite.  Guess he needed a hobby away from electronic profits!  The University of Alaska Aviation school used to send all the students to his store to buy electronic thingys for projects.   My genius idea was putting in small red LED lights for indicators of a tripped breaker on the IP - I passed electronics class even tho I let the smoke out of an alternator on the test bench!  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

If I remember right that was the price tag on it at Airventure. Spars, ribs and other parts were made out of carbon fiber. It was a crazy price.

Posted (edited)

Here is Belite ad from Sport Aviation in 2010.   I have an Aero 'Lectrics article that Jim Weir wrote in Kitplanes 2010, but scanner is on strike for a little while - will post when able.   EDMO

Scan0374.jpg

Scan0375.jpg

Edited by EDMO

Posted (edited)

Yes that was the aluminium spar ect. Carbon fiber price was ridiculous.

Edited by Bandit

Posted

http://www.beliteaircraftstore.com/pipper/

Link is to the new Belite Pipper. Looks like payload will be a big consideration for many. Personally, I would be more exited at 80hp and 1,000lbs gross. The link shows a maximum of 65hp, 380lbs (2-stroke) 430lbs (4-stroke), 10 gallons of fuel with a gross of 850 pounds.

Posted

Just watched a u-tube video with James Wiebe that was filmed 6 years ago. He said he had a carbon fiber Belite factory built for only $50,000. Crazy! He did buy the tooling for the Kitfox Lite, not the Kitfox 1.

Posted

I think the Belite came from the kitfox lite. About the same as a Skyraider 1, except it had flaperons like the kitfox. 

If it did come from the Kitfox Lite it was sure a crazy adaptation. The Belite is all aluminum angles. I suppose it could have been copied from the tube and fabric version but it sure doesn't look anything like the lite to me. If you really look at it, the Kitfox lite could be said to have been an adaptation of the cub as well. Almost everything in aviation especially light aircraft, is a copy of something else it seems. 

Personally I think if given the choice I'd take the Kitfox lite since it is actually tube. Something about the very thin aluminum doesn't yell durable to me. Not that it can't be, but I just trust tubing more. It just feels more robust. This coming from someone that owns a completely aluminum aircraft, a complete wood aircraft and is building a tube and fabric one now. 

I like what Belite is doing, don't get me wrong. If I had the chance I'd fly one too. Just would like to see one up close before ordering a kit for one. 

He started with Kitfox !ite. They were tube and fabric. He changed the design to meet part 103. The Kitfox Lite did not meet part 103.

Posted

I was not aware of Jim Weir being connected with Belite.  Guess he needed a hobby away from electronic profits!  The University of Alaska Aviation school used to send all the students to his store to buy electronic thingys for projects.   My genius idea was putting in small red LED lights for indicators of a tripped breaker on the IP - I passed electronics class even tho I let the smoke out of an alternator on the test bench!  EDMO

I think his name js Jim Weibe. That was his name in the u- tube video.

Posted

I remember the BD-4 having a single spar wing and the wing "ribs" were actually fiberglass wing panels about 2 feet wide that would slide onto the spar and overlap each succeeding wing panel.  Bede used honeycomb aluminum panels in the fuselage ofbd4.thumb.jpg.3a29d2502b14838a5a690c82f3bede1.thumb.jpg.c832e2e2710cdcac0e0ae88d the airplane that became the "Grumman Yankee"

Posted (edited)

That aileron tube going thru the flap tube is exactly what I have designed to use in place of flaperons - nothing new.    EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

I believe Steve Whitman used the same system in his "Tailwind."

Posted (edited)

I believe Steve Whitman used the same system in his "Tailwind."

Yes, except not sure that all of his had flaps.   The big difference in mine is that they are in free air same as flaperons.  I know they add some drag, but don't want to exceed Sport Pilot speed limits!  ;<)  EDMO

Edited by EDMO