Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Are the F7A arms working right

26 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Avid90,   I think you are correct about this, but do they only pivot when the flap lever is pulled?  Isn't the only aileron action the pivoting of the crossmember of the controls?   The cable system in the later Avids and Airdales might work a little different?  Someone smarter than me, maybe with a CAD program and a diagram of the system could figure it out easily.

Here is a drawing I made that shows that a belcrank at an angle will give an approximate 2:1 differential in push-pull amounts.  It may not be too clear.   My aileron controls work off of separate belcranks and pushrods, with the flaps being a completely separate system.   If my memory is correct, I had the prototype set up and showed Mike Kahle how mine worked when he visited - I had about 24 UP and 12 DOWN.  I just set up my rig with some wooden push-pull rods and tried it to see if it worked right - someone could do the same with an Avid or Kitfox, but I think the system would have to be completely changed to give differential ailerons in the correct directions and amounts.   EDMO

Scan0376.jpg

Edited by EDMO