Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Rotax 912 Oil Cooler

4 posts in this topic

Posted

I am curious if a rotax 912 requires an oil cooler.  Flying in Alaska is usually cool weather.  What are your thoughts?

Thanks

Posted

The MK IV was deigned with the oil tank under the baggage compartment with the aluminum oil lines running under the fuselage which was to cool the oil.  My temps ran from 230-260F which was higher than what I was comfortable with and I added an Earls oil cooler.  I suggest that you plan on adding the oil cooler while you are getting setup rather than later.  A friend with a Rans S6 had the same results and also added the oil cooler.

Posted (edited)

On the other hand I ran my Kitfox model IV (round cowl) for 7 years without a cooler and never needed one.  With Rotax' suggested Mobil 1 Racing 4T oil, the temp redline is 280 degrees F.  That oil won't break down until over 400 degrees. 

Many people coming from the certified engine world get nervous if they see over 200 degrees.  This isn't warranted and some may say counter to the engines health.  Heat is not your enemy in this engine and will help avoid deposits, especially if you are running 100 LL. 

What at oil are you running and what temps are you seeing?

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted

This is first install and use of a 912 in this Avid. Just checking if I need a cooler.