Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Fire Wall Sound Buffer

10 posts in this topic

Posted

I just replaced my firewall and wondering if you have any suggestions for sound deadening on the cockpit side of firewall.  What type of material?  Where do I find it?

Thanks

Posted

I got the quilted stuff from Aircraft Spruce.  Then had the mother in law do some sewing for me. 

Posted

I used Thermo Guard FR, available at most auto parts stores. or they can order it, stuff works great

Posted (edited)

I used Thermo Guard FR, available at most auto parts stores. or they can order it, stuff works great

TJay, How do you install that Thermo Guard FR, and what is it like?  I see that they also sell a spray adhesive for it.  I wonder if that is what JC Whitney sells in big sizes - its a lot cheaper than anything I have found in Spruce.  I like the self-sticking foam too, and you can leave it bare or cover it with some other material - you really don't need the fire protection on the cockpit side of the firewall, but maybe on each side of the cabin it would be better.   I looked up Thermo Tec / Thermo Guard FR, and it comes in one or two sided, and there are different numbers, 14120, 14130, 14135, etc., which means there must be differences?   The sound reduction is listed for one of them as only 3 to 5 Db., which is not much.   I think that foam rubber may reduce sound a lot more?  I would like to hear more comments about what others think is best.

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I got the 14130 I like it its a 1/4 inch thick just glue it on and a few rivets. the only bad part that I fought is you absolutely can not drill through it, the drill bit will hook the fibers and pull like hell. So I got out the soldering iron and melted a hole then drilled the firewall that worked great Just takes time, the stuff is light as a feather that's what I like, 

Posted

Where did you get 14130?

Posted

Where did you get 14130?

Arnold Motor Supply ordered it for me, It was about 30 bucks for a 24" 48" single sided foil