Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

HISTORY CHANNEL WW2 SHOWING

4 posts in this topic

Posted

For the info of those who are snowbound or rained-in, the History Channel is continuously showing WW2 films, some have never been on TV before, both in the Pacific and Europe - probably will keep showing them thru 7 December.   Some of it is hard to watch, but shows the bravery and hardships of those who kept us safe.  Salute to all the Vets - Bless all those who served.  EDMO

1 person likes this

Posted

Ed - gotta say, I've been watching them. In the past I found it painfully hard to sit through the old, grainy B&W films due to poor quality, but I recently splurged on a new 4k S-UHD TV and find the combination of film content, remastering and colorization to be incredibly powerful and sobering (yes, some scenes can be -very- unsettling at 4x the resolution of regular HD TV). My HT room has 7.1 Audyssey DSX surround system with front height speakers that were designed for scenes like the D-Day Beach invasions with bullets and bombs raining down from above. Man, it is so realistic and immersive, I just cannot imagine finding myself in that situation real life as a 18-20 y.o. kid. These were American Heros indeed. If only the latter generations spent a fraction of their time watching these real history documentaries as they do playing their fantasy war game X-box sheit, they might have new appreciation and respect for our WWII Veterans.

Posted (edited)

Ed - gotta say, I've been watching them. In the past I found it painfully hard to sit through the old, grainy B&W films due to poor quality, but I recently splurged on a new 4k S-UHD TV and find the combination of film content, remastering and colorization to be incredibly powerful and sobering (yes, some scenes can be -very- unsettling at 4x the resolution of regular HD TV). My HT room has 7.1 Audyssey DSX surround system with front height speakers that were designed for scenes like the D-Day Beach invasions with bullets and bombs raining down from above. Man, it is so realistic and immersive, I just cannot imagine finding myself in that situation real life as a 18-20 y.o. kid. These were American Heros indeed. If only the latter generations spent a fraction of their time watching these real history documentaries as they do playing their fantasy war game X-box sheit, they might have new appreciation and respect for our WWII Veterans.

My wife don't understand why I wont watch most Hollywood War movies - I guess it's because I remember all of my family being put in harms way fighting the war across both oceans, and I hated that the later wars, Korea and Vietnam, were only brought about by our Democrat politicians, and we lost so many good men there for no reason - they were no threat to us. 

I can watch what is being shown now on the documentaries because I was at a lot of the places in Europe where the war was fought, and thankful I did not have to go thru what the older generation did to keep us and the world safe.   All of my family who fought are buried now. 

When I came home and married I went to meet my wife's Uncle - He looked at the emblem on my cap and turned white, like he had seen a ghost, and sat down - He said, "Where did you get that emblem?"  I said, "That was my unit, the 78th Artillery, 4th Armored Division."  He said, "I was one of 6 men left alive in that unit at Bastogne when we nearly froze and starved fighting and surrounded by the Natzis until Patton rescued us.  I thought I would never see that emblem again!"  I gave him my emblem.  I had more at home on my uniforms.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Take a listen to this song and the words in it, and things look a bit different.  At what cost glory?   The leaders in this world have a lot to answer for, and yet it seems they will never learn.  How many  wars are going on right now.  JImChuk