Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

EPA Raising Ethenol Levels in 2017

14 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Just read this article - Hope Trump and Congress will roll the mandate back before our tanks melt.   Tried to copy link and failed - trying again for something - found it on Yahoo.   Still cant copy it - "Fuel Fix" article.   Some gas up to 15% E ???  Maybe someone else can get it?   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I find it highly unlikely that the Trump administration will let the ethanol boondoggle continue.

It had been proven time and again that ethanol is a net energy loss, which could not survive without government subsidies.

Posted (edited)

I find it highly unlikely that the Trump administration will let the ethanol boondoggle continue.

It had been proven time and again that ethanol is a net energy loss, which could not survive without government subsidies.

I donno what Trump may do - Two big refineries in Iowa, and lots of now rich farmers contribute and vote!  Expect some sort of compromise, otherwise the cost of tough meat and food, especially the cornbread dressing I had yesterday, to stay high.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

There's more than 10 huge smelly ass ethanol plants within a 50 mile radius of me here in Iowa

Posted

There's more than 10 huge smelly ass ethanol plants within a 50 mile radius of me here in Iowa

I have smelled moonshine mash - one year my Grandfather got lots of mash from a bootlegger, and we had fat & happy hogs that year!  EDMO

1 person likes this

Posted

Sucking vast quantities of our tax money to stay open and create that stench.

Posted

Sucking vast quantities of our tax money to stay open and create that stench.

Yes,  Not only the corn moonshine - I read that Oh Bummer had ordered the Navy to pay $59 a gallon for soybean oil to run their jets on when they could have bought JP4 or 5 for $3 or $5 a gallon!  That is a real "Bummer" idea when the military needs the money!  EDMO

Posted

Unfortunately, I don't think ethanol is going away anytime soon. There is a push to convert from corn-based ethanol to ethanol that is cellulose based. The renewable fuel standard program that was passed by Congress in 2007 set a target of 36 billion gallons of renewable fuels blended in the nation's fuel supply by 2022. Corn ethanol was supposed to be capped at 15 billion gallons in 2016 under the law, with cellulose biofuels filling most of the remaining target over the remaining six years.

Using wood or switchgrass to make ethanol may help with food prices, but it still won't be good for our airplanes.:(

1 person likes this

Posted

Think maybe our poor government employees in Congress invested in renting or owning land for a tax write-off years ago, and figured out how to make it pay more in moonshine!  EDMO

Posted

Not sure if this helps anybody or how accurate it is, But kinda fun to look at, http://pure-gas.org/

Posted

My experience is that the PureGas website is very accurate and up to date for the upstate NY area. A great resource IMHO, although it doesn't always pick up the E-free marinas.

Local stations are just starting to make the switch to E-10 winter blend here, I get 2-3mpg less in the winter. Shudder to think what will happen with E-15.

Posted

I thought maybe they would come up with O-gas:  a bi-product made from throw-away orange peal oils - they made a black powder substitute from them at one time - it worked!   EDMO