Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Kit bill of sale for registration question

4 posts in this topic

Posted

I am fairly up to speed on the process but I have a question regarding the Kit bill of sale. It must match the name on the 8050-88. What happens if a kit changes hands during the build? I read in one place on the EAA site where the 8050-2 Aircraft Bill of sale will suffice and you just mark out the word aircraft and write Kit. If this is the case do I just need that form filled out from the previous owner the kit showing the kit was sold to me?

Posted

That is basically what I did but the seller had the original Bill of Sale from Avid which I sent in also.  In my case I was also required to send a copy of the death certificate because I bought the kit from his widow.  Once you start the process if they want something more they will let you know. Sending them FAA, an email may save you a few weeks of dinking around.

Posted

Joey,

Both of you guys are correct.  The FAA wants an 8050-2 from every owner to the next, with "Aircraft" lined through and "Kit" hand written beside it.

Here are the answers to possible issues:

1) No original bill of sale from Avid...

The EAA paperwork says the FAA doesn't accept an invoice, but in this case they do because Avid Aircraft INC no longer exists.  Include the Wikipedia page about Avid to show that they are out of biz and write a letter explaining all of this.

2) If you didn't get an 8050-2 when you bought the kit, a hand written bill of sale works too.  Make sure you include things like the name of the aircraft kit and serial number.  A dollar amount is not required and might save you some $ in states that tax the purchase.

3) Widows...

I had the widow write a letter saying her husband died and she was the "sole heir" of Avid Magnum kit, serial# MXX, and she signed it.  The FAA said that would have worked, but it needed to be notarized too.  But now that they have denied the letter, they want an inheritance affidavit signed and notarized.  It sounds like Paul basically did the same thing with a copy of a death certificate.

So it seems there are several ways to skin this possum.  I think everyone here would agree that finding someone with a brain at the FAA is the secret!  Well, I found one!  If you have questions I would urge you to contact Landon in the Aircraft Registration office in OKC (Four Zero Five) 954-7971

The Aircraft Registration Office in OKC is where you mail your paperwork.

The EAA says give the FAA up to 90 days, but Landon was on it within a week of me mailing it!  

I know this is more than what you needed Joey.  I just wanted to get this on the forum while it is still fresh on my mind.

Ron

2 people like this

Posted

I'm attaching a sample form the FAA has for completing the bill of sale chain when an owner has died and the kit is inherited by another.

This form is also designed for a completed aircraft, so draw a line through any reference to Aircraft and write Kit.

If the Kit doesn't have an N number yet leave it blank.  Also, if the kit doesn't have an N number yet, it means there is not a builder on file yet, so enter "Avid" as the manufacturer.

This form must be notarized.

Ron

IMG_1384.PNG