Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Someting weird with my brakes?

4 posts in this topic

Posted

So I have had mineral brake fluid in my brakes for the whole winter and you can see the nice red tint in all my brake lines, so today I let the plane sit on my driveway while I was building my wing struts and when I pulled it back inside it looks like my brake lines are empty, the brakes still work fine doesn't seem like there is any air in the lines and no fluid leaks, does this stuff bleach out or something? they looked nice and red before I pushed it outside.

100_1050.JPG

100_1051.JPG

Posted

TJay,  I have used the 5056 Red brake fluid for years, and it was always Red, but that was in rubber and metal brake lines - Possibly the red dye is bleached by UV light in your translucent tubes?  ???  Try putting a shallow amount in a clear plastic container and seal the lid, and put it out in the sun to see what happens.   EdMO

Posted

TJay,  I have used the 5056 Red brake fluid for years, and it was always Red, but that was in rubber and metal brake lines - Possibly the red dye is bleached by UV light in your translucent tubes?  ???  Try putting a shallow amount in a clear plastic container and seal the lid, and put it out in the sun to see what happens.   EdMO

good idea, ill do that tomorrow

Posted (edited)

good idea, ill do that tomorrow

Maybe I should have said Glass container - Don't know what kind of plastic this stuff might melt.   Or, could there be a chemical reaction between the tubing and the brake fluid?   What tubing?  Questions are easy - Answers get harder!    EDMO

Edited by EDMO