Cracked tire

4 posts in this topic

Posted

There were several of us that bought the Matco 8" dual fork tailwheel a couple of years back and this relates to that tire furnished with the TW.  I noticed a crack up by the rim about 1/2' long so I ordered a new from Matco.  When I replaced it I found that the crack was all the way thru the sidewall.  The tire was in good shape otherwise and the plane had always been stored inside.  These are the Carlisle tires made in China and like all of the others (other plane) that I have purchased are not round  but at least they don't cost $100's of dollars.  Maybe there is a better tire out there.  I did let Matco know but did not press them for a replacement $35 just is not worth the hassle and they were making excuses.  Who would be surprised, a defective Chinese tire.

Posted

Paul, is that a "common" size tire?  Maybe something you could find at the farm store so you could at least inspect it before buying?

Posted

I've had good luck with mine. It's the big fat wide one. Maybe you just got a crap tire? Either way they are cheap and easy to change. 

Posted

Mine is the big wide one also,  it is a crap shoot with the Carlisle tires for sure.