Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Before the days of 800lb $100K homebuilts and glass cockpits

4 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

As most of you know I fly for a living and am a pretty firm believer of Grass Roots flying for fun. These 100K kit built planes that go 100 mph kind of blow my mind. Anyways found this watching some 80's Ultralight vids today. These guys were the true Pioneers and knew how to have fun. Bet he had less than 5K into that machine and probably still talks about the experience today.

Edited by C5Engineer
2 people like this

Posted

Can you imagine how the insurance companies and other 'powers that be' would flip out with a stunt like this today?  I soloed in a Quicksilver MX, and have many times said that it was the most fun flying I ever did.   First photo is a picture of the landing of my first solo flight.  Jim Chuk

Quicksilver MX pics_0009.jpg

Quicksilver MX pics_0010.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

I soloed with only ground instruction. No dual at all in anything. It was in a Weed Hopper... With a ~15hp single lung direct drive two stroke... ignition was from a 6V lantern battery and you had to prop it off... :o Talk about a pig!!! It was dangerous!!! That didn't last long as I was in to a Rally Sport.

So I feel ya, but I sure would like a Carbon Cub!!! ;)

Posted

I figured we had some grass roots flyers on here. I remember watching my Dad ball up a Rally 2B trying to teach himself how to fly when I was a kid. About 5 years later he bought a powered parachute and fired it up and took off with no instruction. He later became a dealer and an ultralight instructor. Did the sport pilot thing and then lost all interest trying to keep current when at the time you had to go all the way to Salt Lake City from WA to find an instructor.  Seems like that happened to a lot of people.

1 person likes this