Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Wheel camber?

7 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello! Does any one know what the wheel camber on a Grove spring gear is suppost to be empty? Kit Fox V , 745 Lbs., Thanks! Ironman Al

Posted (edited)

Hello! Does any one know what the wheel camber on a Grove spring gear is suppost to be empty? Kit Fox V , 745 Lbs., Thanks! Ironman Al

Al,  I don't have any data for empty, but I would think that normally loaded, just the way you taxi and start down the runway, that the wheels should be vertical.  I have seen gear set different, and one side of the tire wore faster, so they would flip the tires  on the wheels every annual.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I have two planes now flying on Grove gear.  They both behave the same. 

The camber on the tires will pretty much stay where it goes on landing.  I.E. If you lightly touch down there will be some top out (positive) camber on the ground.  If you plop it down harder the camber will be from zero to slight negative. 

Also I have found that if I turn the airplane around tightly, spin around on one wheel, the camber will go way negative. 

For these reasons, I have gotten into the habit of after I park, I will lift up on one wing (at the lift strut attach point) to unload the spring, leaving it in the positive (tire top out) position. 

Posted

I have two planes now flying on Grove gear.  They both behave the same. 

The camber on the tires will pretty much stay where it goes on landing.  I.E. If you lightly touch down there will be some top out (positive) camber on the ground.  If you plop it down harder the camber will be from zero to slight negative. 

Also I have found that if I turn the airplane around tightly, spin around on one wheel, the camber will go way negative. 

For these reasons, I have gotten into the habit of after I park, I will lift up on one wing (at the lift strut attach point) to unload the spring, leaving it in the positive (tire top out) position. 

I do the same larry. +1

Posted

Thanks! Just wondering, my plane seams to have a definate positive, or top of wheel out position, empty, no fuel or load, I suspect it had been ground looped at some time in the past, due to the wheel outer rim having edge damage, wondering if this is normal, or not, I didnt know it would change in use. I'm not sure yet about toe in or out. I'll be checking it. I know the wheels will straighten up when loaded, but I just wanted some input on what is normal to start. Thanks again, sorry for the rooky questions, better to ask first than fix later! Ironman Al!

Posted

Al, can you post a photo of the situation?   If both wheels are cambered the same you are most likely fine.

Posted

I will If I can get far enough away from it to see in a picture! The camber sounds right, and I'll check to make sure that both wheels are the same, the toe in or out is what I Realy want to check,.