Rebuilding Matco Master Cylinder

5 posts in this topic

Posted

My Matco MC-1 master cylinders have begun to weep out of the top.  I see that Matco no longer makes this cylinder, but they do offer a rebuild kit for it.

Anyone does this repair before?  Pretty straight forward?  Worth the trip (assuming the internal surfaces are fine) or would replacement with a newer style make more sense?

Posted

I did mine which I feel was worth it.  I think the rebuild kit is $10 a side. It was a fun project, I learned a lot. If your not going to big tundra type tires, it's worth it.  What wears out is the buns rubber plug at the bottom of the piston. It gets compressed over the years, and compresses to the point of loosing it's sealing ability.  I also replaced my caliper o ring as it was leaking also. And I replaced my brake linings.  It can do a run up to 5600 rpm before she starts creeping now.Spent $70 or so and a couple of weekends and smelled like hydraulic fluid when done, but I'm happy, Bryce.

1 person likes this

Posted

MC1 matco cylinders are internal reservoir cylinders, they are not a sealed unit.  the top isnt sealed per se.  Dont fill the res above 3/4 full to avoid them splashing out of the top.   

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

MC1 matco cylinders are internal reservoir cylinders, they are not a sealed unit.  the top isnt sealed per se.  Dont fill the res above 3/4 full to avoid them splashing out of the top.   

What he said and be sure to bleed/service them from the caliper side.   I use a lever action oil filler can it might take you a few tries to get all the air out of the lines which is crucial for optimum braking. :news:  

Edited by allonsye
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I did mine which I feel was worth it.  I think the rebuild kit is $10 a side. It was a fun project, I learned a lot. If your not going to big tundra type tires, it's worth it.  What wears out is the buns rubber plug at the bottom of the piston. It gets compressed over the years, and compresses to the point of loosing it's sealing ability.  I also replaced my caliper o ring as it was leaking also. And I replaced my brake linings.  It can do a run up to 5600 rpm before she starts creeping now.Spent $70 or so and a couple of weekends and smelled like hydraulic fluid when done, but I'm happy, Bryce.

ditto

Edited by allonsye