Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Gone West

8 posts in this topic

Posted

I just received a pbone call from the son of a close friend and super long time Avid, Airdale builder and flyer that his dad passed away. He was my go to person if I had any questions about my Avid or my engine. As a matter of fact I tried calling him last night to ask him about my hard starting 503, with no answer, now I know why. He has helped rebuild many bent Avids over the years. I met him over twenty years ago when I was building my Bandit. We became good friends after that. Ron was a super person as is his wife. He will be missed by the whole homebuilt community. 

God Speed Ron we will miss you,

Bandit

Posted (edited)

Bandit,

It's always sad to hear of another flyer passing on - Sympathies for his family - and wish Ron a good last flight, Heavenward.

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Sorry for your loss Mark, sounds like he was one of those long time friends that helped put many great memories in your book. Wondering now if I met Ron at any of the OSH Avid meet and greets, was he light haired and on the shorter side by chance?

Posted

Sorry to hear of your loss.  Thoughts and prayers going out to his wife and family.  I hate to see the good ones go.

Blue sky's and tailwinds

Posted

Sorry for your loss Mark, sounds like he was one of those long time friends that helped put many great memories in your book. Wondering now if I met Ron at any of the OSH Avid meet and greets, was he light haired and on the shorter side by chance?

He was always at the Avid picnic at the seaplane base. Yes he was short. He was good friend  with Jerry Matison. They camped together at the EAA grounds.

Posted

Yes, sadly, as I thought. I remember my first conversation with Ron at OSH years ago as a very enthusiastic and new Avid builder. He was rather quiet at the picnic, kind of a low-key and unexcitable personality that day, but he really opened up when I started a conversation about something or other related to my build. Didn't take long to realize he was one of those guys that was a wealth of information, but not at all pretentious or ego driven after accumulating such knowledge. I remember stumbling on some pics online of Jerry delivering Rons Airdale Flyer kit. IIRC, he cut out a section of basement wall so he could build it indoors. Now that is an enthusiast! I always looked forward to seeing him during Airventure, I'll miss him too. 

Posted

There's an African proverb that goes like this, "When an old man dies, it’s a library burning". It certainly sounds like these words applied to Ron. I'm sorry to hear of your loss . . . .

Posted

So sad to hear about the loss of a good friend Mark and Doug; and best wishes and comfort to all his family and friends.