Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Is it just me or are JUST's getting more....

34 posts in this topic

Posted

They have sold 10s of thousands of these engines, the military was using them in drones forever and to a large extent still do.  The inflated prices came over night when the military bean counters finally got tired of paying 10k more for 912 than the general public.  Rotax ran the numbers and quickly saw the military was the biggest buyer and to let them have the engine for what the general public was getting them was gonna hit the bottom line hard.. so they raised the civilian prices to match what they had been charging the military forever.

They are a relatively mass produced engine.

Posted

Thanks Ed for bringing up the "then and now" wage point. I sometimes reflect on what things used to cost. Anyone look at the report social security sends about your "contribution" to them, (or us ED?)?   :nobashing:  Pretty shocking! OK, I got that out of my mind...

I think most of the younger drivers prefer to be able to get to their destination as fast and comfortable as they can. When I bought my 2 it fit perfectly for what I envisioned as my "mission", what I want to do, perfectly. I doubt I will ever xcountry more than 500-1000 SM to visit one of my daughters. I do not regret it for one minute. Actually you guys have reinforced my reasoning about buying what I did. I don't get that feeling over on the "dark side" site. :dunno:  I particularly appreciate those of you here who manufacture what you need when possible. That has always been my mantra. If precision machines were available to me, I would also. I have already experienced great satisfaction working on little things that I want to address before taking to the sky.

After all, they are merely simple enjoyable machines.

Lou

1 person likes this

Posted

Hey now, this is the dark side site :lmao:  Just ask anyone on the TKF site. 

My Avid and the kitfox I, II and III I have flown fit my mission perfectly 98% of the time.  This is my fun, stress relieving plane.  For what I do with it nothing certified comes remotely close in performance or cost.  I went over to the dark side I swore I would never do again when I went in partners on the 180, but it will fit the other 2% of my flying just perfect and for what I have into it I would be an idiot to not have it.

So, welcome again to the dark side and I am glad we make you feel at home here!

Oh, for those of you who have not figured it out yet.. I just love to busts Larry's balls about his high and might 912 just as much as he likes to bust mine over my 2 stroke death trap.  Kinda like smacking Ed around for his love of training wheels :lmao:  It is all in good nature that I give them crap about it

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

The inflated prices came over night when the military bean counters finally got tired of paying 10k more for 912 than the general public. 

I understand you are the chief snake oil salesman, but you can't expect me to believe that anyone in the government gives a damn about what anything costs.

That has to be the most snake oily thing you have ever come up with...

The lib-tarded democRATs crashing the value of the dollar against the euro had nothing to do with anything.

Edited by Av8r3400
1 person likes this

Posted

I understand you are the chief snake oil salesman, but you can't expect me to believe that anyone in the government gives a damn about what anything costs.

That has to be the most snake oily thing you have ever come up with...

The lib-tarded democRATs crashing the value of the dollar against the euro had nothing to do with anything.

well take a look into the almost overnight doubling in price of the 912...

:BC:

Posted (edited)

My buddy just sold his $100K+ cub because he felt like he didn't fly it enough.  He sold his 185 a few years ago because it cost too much.  Now he is bummed because he doesn't have an airplane and is looking at the prices of the Justs's.  He should have just kept his cub. 

My plane meets my mission for 99 % of what I like to do and it is a plane that I can afford to own and fly whenever I want to without worrying how much it costs.  It has about 1/2 the fuel burn of my buddies cub; on our hunt I could get as much gear in it as he can in his without a cargo pod; I just couldn't get off as short.  I just felt a lot better going in and out of the 600' path we had through the big rocks and gullies than the 400' one we brushed out to get the caribou out.  He managed to land it after a couple of attempts but I opted to land a different spot on the river and just packed 1/2 of the caribou over to my plane so we each flew 1/2 of it out.   It may not do everything that a cub can do but it does a pretty good job on 90% of it, costs about 1/3 the price and burns about half the fuel.  I am a believer that these planes don't have to be pushing $100K to be great fun and very capable.

post-75-0-51041900-1443164161_thumb.jpg

post-75-0-58589700-1443164397_thumb.jpg

post-75-0-00568500-1443164672_thumb.jpg

post-75-0-27047800-1443164761_thumb.jpg

post-75-0-97576800-1443164829_thumb.jpg

Edited by SuberAvid
1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks Randy that was exactly the point I was trying to make. If I had a 100 grand to blow on a toy would I?? You betcha! But in the real world it's fine a plane that is affordable to fly or don't fly. Sadly many people who have the bug don't fly because they think there's no way possible they could afford it.

Posted

Hey now, this is the dark side site :lmao:  Just ask anyone on the TKF site. 

My reference was due to the enlightenment here...and people speak non-engineer languages

1 person likes this

Posted

I paid $7500 for my SkyRaider and I'll bet I put more hours a year on it than the superstol boys.

1 person likes this