UT Kitfox down

6 posts in this topic

Posted

You can search FAA for N4291R...

EdMO

Posted

Another successful landing .walked away

Posted

Look how strait the wing is where the insert is installed. Looks like it bent up right at the edge of the stiffener that's impressive. And its nice to see the spars are still in one piece and not broke. Pretty strong little planes.

Posted (edited)

I wonder what landing gear he had that sheared off like that, maybe oem bungee? Doesn't look like any twisting of the lower longerons below the door sills, which happens with the Grove spring gear when exposed to a big front/back horizontal force.

On another note: When I was deciding whether to return to flying as an aircraft owner, budget considerations kept me in the E-AB category. I very nearly bought a couple aluminum framed bolt/rivet together kits as they were substantially cheaper and way less than half the build time of my Avid Mk-4. After some serious research and many grim accident reports later, it became crystal clear that the strength of 4130 chromoly substantialy out weighed the minimal weight penalty. I've been up in only a few aluminum UL's and the thought was in my mind the whole time!   

Edited by dholly
1 person likes this

Posted

You can search FAA for N4291R...

EdMO

Yikes! That tail # has a bad history. Looks like the 1st accident was a PA-32 ferry flight w/passenger (new owner?) where PIC went into trees during a forced off airport landing due to fuel starvation resulting in (2) serious injured. The 2nd, with (4) fatal, was a PA-28 VFR flight into IMC and a big-ass mountain. Hell, for $5, I'll always pick my own tail # over FAA assigned thank you kindly.