Need ID assistance

4 posts in this topic

Posted

At my age saying you are dumb is not easy but here goes..... I need help identifying my FLYER.

She's a barn find came with good builders logs and pictures but no data plate or C. of A.   I think I have a Model "A" with a "C" tail.  It has a Rotax 532 (Bombardier embossed on head) hung on a very well done mount but somebody got sloppy near the ground and there is broken fuselage tubing at the tail wheel spring.   I've attached a couple of pictures and would appreciate the group's wisdom.  It came to me by way of Kansas City, through Saint Louis and Collinsville, Illinois. If anybody recognizes it let me know.

John

post-956-0-64778700-1441320597.jpeg

post-956-0-61418200-1441320614.jpeg

Posted (edited)

John,

did you look closely for traces of an N-number - maybe just traces of glue? That, and I think, the owners name, and plane info, even if registration has expired and maybe if been cancelled, are on the FAA site.

I am a Kitfox builder, but I think Avids also have serial numbers stamped somewhere on the fuselage, probably on a lower crosstube, and that might tell you what model it was.

Maybe the Avid drivers can help you more than this model info.

You will need some kind of documentation of the plane being amateur-built to register it, and you should have the builder's logbook, photos, and name.

Nobody is dumb - they just don't have the facts they need at the time.

Age is no concern either - Advice from both my elders and juniors is welcomed, and some of each have lots more experience with these little birds than me.

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted (edited)

Can't see the pics well enough, but the A model is only 36" wide at the shoulders, later models are 39 1//2",  and the door bottom is different than later models.  The bottom tube of the door opening is about 18" or so front to back, and then in the back another tube angels up at about 45 degrees.  Later models are flat on the bottom about 24" and then go more or less straight up from there.  Looks like it has the rounded MK IV rudder, is there a built in trim tab on the elevator?  MK IVs came that way.  We need more clues.....   Somewhere on this site is a post from Steve Winder telling about various changes you can look for to maybe tell what model it is.  I think that post was copied over from the Yahoo Groups site maybe.   Was the plane ever registered and issued an N #?  Jim Chuk

Edited by Jim Chuk