Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

FLAPERON BUSHING QUESTION

3 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Are the flaperon bushings supposed to rotate around the flaperon spar tube, or is the hanger supposed to rotate on the bushings?

I was wondering about a Kitfox SB that said to put a blind rivet on each side of the bushing thru the skin and spar - guessing to keep the bushing located inside the hanger.

Looks like there would be less wear if the steel hanger would rotate on the bushing rather than the bushing rotating on the aluminum flaperon spar :huh:

I seem to remember some oil holes in one set of hangers, so guessing the slippage is supposed to be between the hangers and bushings?

EdMO

I really need some answers before buying my bushings and hanger tubes.

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Yes, the hinge rotates on the bushing.  There is #40 oil hole drilled just aft of the weld centered on the hinge bearing housing.  There is a 3/32 x 1/8 in. aluminum pop rivet in the spar 0.16 in. from the flange end of each bearing as a stopper to keep the bushing inside the hinge ring.

Posted (edited)

Thanks tcj,

That's just what I needed to know - now I can spend a few $$ and start making the hangers, as soon as I can find the correct polyethylene or some other type bushings. I have to match the ID of my hanger tubes to the OD of the bushings.

My flap spar tube is 1.5" OD aluminum, and my aileron spar tube is 1".

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri