Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

dried-up 9460 WHITE PART

3 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

dHolly,

I had cans of a small amount of outdated 9460, and the white part was almost solid -

I took your advice and put about 20 grams of it into a glass bowl and heated in microwave for about 10 seconds - the stuff got slightly warm, but not melted.

I mixed it with an equal part of the black and glued some non-aircraft parts with it.

Normally, I do my mixing in a plastic container, and the glue will just peal out of it after it sets for a day or more.

Two days later, I tried to get the rest of the glue out of the glass bowl I had borrowed from my wife - even with breaking the bowl, the glue would not come unstuck, and was really hard.

I would not be afraid to use this in a plane on some non-critical part - and actually think it would be as safe as the new stuff to use on any part. 

So - don't throw your 9460 away if the white part is hardened - you can still use it.

Thanks for the info Doug,

EDMO 

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I have some that's dated 2009. That's well past it's shelf life. It's kind of grainy, and I didn't think it was any good, but mixed some up for the fun of it, and glued a few sticks together. It seemed to be plenty strong, although I wouldn't use it on a structural part. I also have some 25 year old scotch weld 2216, and it looks as good as new, and I've used it on all sorts of things that didn't really matter a whole lot. I even glued the side rails on to a radiator in a International 4900 truck. Last I knew, it was still holding. I did buy new scotch weld when I started the latest airplane repair. It's a bit cheaper than the hysol, and I liked the way the last stuff lasted so long. It's what Kitfox used to supply with their kits. 2 to 3 mix by volume or 5 to 7 mix by weight, so it's harder to get the right ratio. I bought a small postal scale for about 12 bucks on ebay and it's easy to add the right amounts into a plastic cup on the scale. Jim Chuk

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Jim,

I thought I had a bargain getting a digital scale from Harbor Freight for $25 - but it works great - 4 AA batteries lasted a long time, and it zeros after I put my mixing cup on it, so don't have to do any math.

I got two engine stands (automotive type) today to use for rotating wings and fuselage when the time comes - paid $49 each as member of inside track club - would have been $59 on sale - so I got $20 saving off of my $30 membership fee back.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri