Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Whats up with Airdale ?

18 posts in this topic

Posted

I have been trying to reach Airdale looking for parts for an Avid I am Rebuilding. No Email, No phone. How do you get them to return messages or have they just shut the doors for good.

Posted

They should be open.  I know the factory was moved to WI, but he should be building parts.

Posted

Call Brett at 715-369-1343 Leave him a message. He only does the Avid stuff at night. He usually get's back to me the same day. I've ordered several parts the past few months and service has been prompt.

Posted

Brett is still there.  (He's only a couple of miles down the road from me.)

At this time Airdale is still "on the side" for him.  He has a new family to think about, so the security of his "Day Job" is still a factor for him with the economy and such.  Leave a phone message for him and he will get back to you.

Posted

That could be my problem, I think I have been dialing 217-764-3775 it comes back with a messag that he is only open from 4 pm till 10 pm but I have not gotten a return call. The parts I need I could duplicate on my own but I figured I could send some of my business to those who have been supporting the plane rather than hunt down the mystery man in Iowa from what I have found out he has an ultralight field somewhere north of the Creston Iowa airport good hunting area.

Posted

If you thought the old Airdale with only a few employees was tough to get a hold of or ship some parts in timely fashion, well, let's just say you will need even more patience for the time being as Brett gets up to speed. As mentioned, some surprises in his life since he took over have slowed his ramp-up plans so patience is necessary for the time being. For whatever reason, email is not productive as I've also sent several without a reply. Not taking a moment to at least acknowledge receiving a customer's email these days is something I don't quite get either. I would think it would be quicker, easier and way cheaper than trying to return phone calls given his day job.

In any event, simply not responding is bad business judgment no matter how you spin it and I agree it all can be rather frustrating. How would you like to be in need of support building a new Airdale Avid+ kit while Avid Flyer replacement parts seem to take precedence? Nice guy that I am, I added a "no rush" to my rib order a couple months ago. BIG mistake, gotta call again and now I am stuck with no wing progress until they arrive.

That said Brett strikes me as an ok guy, sincere in his desire to do something meaningful with the business and giving what time he can at the moment. I met with him at OSH this year and checked out his freshly painted Avid on Aerocet floats at the SPB. Proof that he is, indeed, alive and well attached...

988_8d94af530bb4e1a04537131f863dea11cb50

990_07658837e65b92f14734908549573dd16d6e

Posted

Justtalked to Brett on the phone. He is going to have to make the parts I need but he sounds like a person I can trust. He even has a line on someone that is using an AVID as an ELSA for flight training Sounds perfect for me I don't want a pilot license I want an airborn ATV

Posted

I've talked with him at length and he does seem like a great guy. Maybe we can get him over here.

Posted

Brett's a great guy.  I think he should set his email to autorespond with a blurb about what to expect. This is basic in this day and age. To let customers communications fall into a black hole is not professional, and doeesnt do anything for him whatsoever.  That being said, if he sets it to autorespond with how long the customer should expect to wait for a reply, and then replies in that timeframe, that simple step would go a long way to smooth his relations with the avid community, at no cost to him.

That being said, he is honest, competent, and we should all support his success for the sake of the Avid family, and his family for that matter. There arent enough good people in the world as it is!  my 2 cents

Posted

Amazing what a few phone calls would do to ease a customers mind.  I was ready to buy a Lil Buzzard a coupleyears ago and they would not return calls or emails.  They must still be around cause the site is still up, and has been updated.  I bet I called 20 times with no answer.

On the other hand, I have called Airdale (before the sale) and it took weeks to actually get a call back or get someone to answer the phone.  It is very hard for someone to work 2 jobs, try to build parts and answer the phones and emails.  I dont envy him a bit.  On the other had.. the cost of an aswering service is VERY cheap compared to loosing customers to aftermarket guys or guys just building thier own parts.

Oh and welcome to the site

:beerchug:

Posted

I have tried to call Brett with no answer. No way to run a business. I don't like the excuse of having two jobs and raising a family. I have raised a family, worked 2 jobs 6-7 days a week, 8-14 hours a day for over 30 years. If my customers call me for work for my second job I will get back to them as soon as possible. If I did not do that they would not be my customers any more. Doesn't take much time to check the calls a couple of times a week.

Posted

The main parts I needed where wing ribs, I still have plenty of patterns I quess I could just break out the scroll saw and make duplicates. The F7A mod also doesn't look to hard to duplicate if I decide I need them. The one time I talked to him he said that there was someone who was teaching sport pilots in an Avid, now that is information I need.

Posted

I would like to say that airdale came through with approximately half of my order. Stillneed to make ribs

Posted

Yes I know its an old post but things still seem to be a problem. My last order for parts took over 3 months. Now I've been waiting for two wing tanks that were going to be ready for local pickup by July 10th I am stuck and cannot go any further without them. I have left several messages on Brett's business phone and cell. he has yet to return my calls. I hate to complain but I took time off work this week because my wife is out of state and I have lots of time to work uninterruptedly and here I sit without parts. grrr. I know some of you know Brett if you happen to speak with him maybe you could put in a word for me. I would at least like to know what the hold up is and how much longer i should expect to twiddle my thumbs.

sorry for the rant, I will get off my soap box now.

-Robert-

Posted

Don't expect to hear much from Larry or Brett until Oshkosh is over. It's in their backyard and is a huge event for them. I know you guys are frustrated but please be patient. Up until a year ago Airdale didnt really exist and ZERO parts were available. At least we have something now.

Posted

I realize he is busy with Oshkosh but he is not the one making the tanks they are made here in Idaho about 1 1/2 hrs from me and I did order them a month ago. I guess I just expect someone to meet their deadlines or else let me know they will not and when they expect to be done.

Posted

I realize he is busy with Oshkosh but he is not the one making the tanks they are made here in Idaho about 1 1/2 hrs from me and I did order them a month ago. I guess I just expect someone to meet their deadlines or else let me know they will not and when they expect to be done.

Not being able to meet a deadline happens, some times its thier fault, sometimes its not. a month ago I ordered a powerhead rebuild kit for my outboard. I had a promised delivery date of the 26th of last month. I paid 100 extra to get the kit shipped overnight to my house as I has guys from work flying in to spend a few days halibut fishing with me. The date came and went and it was just yesterday that I got ahold of the place. Kit has not yet shipped... Seems the guy taking orders had suddenly left the company the day after I placed my order and due to what ever reason, the owner had no way of knowing what kits had shipped etc. He was in the unfortunate position to have to just wait for customers to call and bitch about the items not being delivered before he could send out the orders. It cost him alot of time and money, and was not really his fault. I understand that shit does sometimes happen, but this seems to be a long on going issue hammerhead.gif

Brett, please atleast hire some temp answering service in the area so we can atleast get a warm fuzzy from talking to a person, not the answering machine that obviously eats the messages and never gives them to you.

BC.gif

Posted

I have owned my own business before and I will be the first to say that things do come up but its just good business practice to let the customer know when they do so at least we are not lost in the dark. and I in no way am meaning to put down Brett I have spoken with him on several occasions and he is a great guy and I would really like to see his business grow. On the up side I got a call last night from Rod his tank builder and was able to meet up with him in Boise this morning and pick up my nice new tanks. Top notch quality and I really like the flush fill caps no more sticking up above the tank, they also have a sump fitting on the bottom.