Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Net Neutrality

5 posts in this topic

Posted

Leni, are you ready to pay a lot more and get all the permits and licensing needed to run a website?

Why are American people so stupid?

Posted

Well, that's a bit of Fox sensationalism, Mr.

Here's a link to balanced coverage of what's going on with the FCC and Congress at the moment: http://www.politico.com//story/2015/02/reality-check-on-net-neutrality-rhetoric-115460.html

I for one, thinnk the monopolistic ISP's like Comcast and AT&T have too much power and don't represent consumerrs in the least. I'm a believer that they need to be treated like a utility just like my electricity or gas supplier.

Posted

It's still all conjecture anyway. I lean to the historical president, not the rosy view that more government intervention will help this time.

No one but the Obama administration (who wrote it) and the high-ups at the FCC (who are gagged not to talk) know what is in this rule change because it cannot be published until it's adopted.

Remember, "... We need to pass the law to see what's in it..."?

I am leery in the extreme of anything this administration dictates.

2 people like this

Posted

I'm leery of anything ANY administration DICTATES...

just sayin'

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

Well, that's a bit of Fox sensationalism, Mr.

Here's a link to balanced coverage of what's going on with the FCC and Congress at the moment: http://www.politico.com//story/2015/02/reality-check-on-net-neutrality-rhetoric-115460.html

I for one, thinnk the monopolistic ISP's like Comcast and AT&T have too much power and don't represent consumerrs in the least. I'm a believer that they need to be treated like a utility just like my electricity or gas supplier.

The Politico article is all about the bluster, has little facts. At issue beyond net neutrality itself is who will 'regulate' the Internet, FCC or Congress. You may be for net neutrality but granting absolute, unanswerable power to the FCC (think another crazy edict spewing Govt agency like the EPA making up layer upon layer of new, progress-stifiling regulations to justify their existence) is not a good thing IMHO. http://report.heritage.org/ib4339

Regarding the idea of net neutrality, I think regulation of utility industries has the potential to be beneficial in some instances and detrimental in others. You simply cannot paint with a broad brush. For example, recent years have seen the introduction, at both national and state levels, of major regulatory restructuring and increased competition in the traditionally regulated telephone and natural gas industries. The telephone industry has seen sweeping regulatory and statutory changes in the last two decades, with the introduction of competition and increasingly wider choices of service providers. From the perspective of the average consumer, the experiment has been a clear success in terms of lower long-distance rates, with mixed reviews for the cost and quality of local service. In NY, retail gas customers of NY utilities now have the option to purchase their gas from suppliers other than their local gas utility. We can also select electric suppliers (ESCO's) separate from our local provider. Prices dropped dramatically. Clearly, new regulation was done in both industries with the intent to increase competition and lower prices to end users. The FCC sponsored and Obama backed bill just adopted would seem to have the opposite effect if I understand it correctly.

[edit] fix link

Edited by dholly
1 person likes this