Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Avid flyer speedwing butt rib questions?

9 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi everyone I just purchased a avid flyer speedwing model d. The plane is fully covered but the windshield still needs installed. Unfortunately there were no butt ribs when I purchased. Can anyone direct me on what material is used to make these butt ribs that mount permanently on the fuselage and the window gets riveted to? Or does it get screwed to it?

Thanks all,

Bill

Posted (edited)

Bill,

I'm not an Avid expert - Know more about Kitfoxes - On all of the Avids / Foxes except the Avid Magnum, the fuselage butt ribs are just a modified wing rib - The Magnum uses a fiberglass undercambered butt rib.   The rib has to be cut away so that the rear spar can swing and fold.   On most I have seen, the space between this rib and the rear spar crosstube is closed in with the same fabric as on the plane.

Although some instructions say to rivet the windshield / skylight, some have decided that 8-32 bolts with a rubber or nylon washer under the head may cause less cracking - the bolt holes should be drilled oversize by 1/8" to allow for expansion / contraction of the Lexan.   IMO, it is better to make the WS and Skylight in two separate pieces - I also like a dark tinted skylight for the sun and heat here in Missouri summers.

I am sure that dHolly (Doug) (A+ shows in Red on his posts) has a copy of the instruction for most planes - and you might find it in some of the Avid or Kitfox manuals on here or in Files and Forms section.

I might be able to post  a page of the Kitfox manual on here if you cant find what you need.

Hope this helps.

EDMO 

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted (edited)

Joey,

I tried the link, and also tried Files and Forms manual post, and still cant get it to read - Bill may have same problem?

My college computer student tried several times and all we come up with is a blank screen.

Looks like I am SOOL until something changes.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Sorry to poop in your cornflakes, but they open fine for me on my Apple machine...

Posted

I fired up the Microsoft POS and it opened for that one, too.  Used Adobe Reader to open in Windows.

Man I hate this thing.  Going back to the Apple...

1 person likes this

Posted

Sorry all I didn't know I had any responses as I didn't get notified through email. Thanks for all the responses this is exactly what I needed to know. :)

Thanks

Bill

Posted

Bill,

99% of our postings and answers are done here on the site. You can use the message part to make private messages (PM) between yourself and another person for things you don't need or want everyone to be a part of. Your email is not public info on here.

EDMO

Posted

you can also go in to your profile so your notified when a reply is made to a thread you have posted in.

Ed if you put the cursor over someones name and hold it there for a second, it will show said persons email :lol:  You have the option to either use PMs or you can email said person directly.

:BC: