Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Early Avid and Kitfox doors interchangeable?

13 posts in this topic

Posted

Found a guy looking for a set of Kitfox 1-3 doors. Anyone know if these B model Avid doors I have would work for him?

Posted

The mod 2 and 3 doors are different from the mod 1.

The mod 1 has an extra angle at the bottom the 2/3 doesn't have.

Don't know about avid doors tho.

Bob

Posted

Thanks Bob he has a Model 2. Btw you sent me way too much money for that reservoir!!

Posted

Bob,  Joey,

I think the Kitfox 2 and 3 doors are a little (one inch?) wider than the KF1.   I have a set of frames for each, and an aluminum set that I am not sure about - Got to do some measuring when it gets warmer.

EDMO

Posted

The Kitfox IV has an aluminum door frame.  That may be what you have there, Ed.

To the original question, I don't believe any of the Avid and Kitfox doors are interchangeable.

Posted (edited)

Thanks - I thought at first it was for a Kitfox 5, but think they are square tube, and these are round - Got to do some more checking on them - maybe save a pound or two - or wish that I had used steel frames.

I have never got to see a real Avid - Just Airdale #1.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I emailed this guy yesterday to tell him that the Kitfox 1 wings were different from the 2 and 3, and he replyed back that it didn't matter as he was remodeling them anyway. Maybe the Avid doors would work for him anyway. Give him a call I would say. Jim Chuk

Posted

How are Kitfox 1 wings different from the 2/3?

Posted

I have a pair of Kitfox 1 doors, also all the cowl pieces, dash, plastic header tank, engine mount for a 532, flapperon mixing system, rudder, and much more. I will be cleaning out my shed in the next month or so and will get an inventory of all the junk I have collected. If anybody needs anything let me know.

Posted (edited)

How are Kitfox 1 wings different from the 2/3?

One big difference is the bottom of the door.  On the 1, the bottom is about a foot or so long before it angles up in the back.  The later ones are flat on the bottom at least double of the Kitfox 1.   Nice picture of a Kitfox 1 that shows the door on ebay.  If you search ebay moters soon using Kitfox, the top add is the Kitfox 1, and the tenth add is a Kitfox 3.  Easy to see the difference in the doors in these two pictures.  The Kitfox 1 has an early cowl, what Kitfox used before the round cowl.  I think it looked way better than the later round cowl.  Jim Chuk

PS  Just reread my post, and what you actually asked, and in my earlier post, I meant to say kitfox doors...  I read your question as Kitfox 1 doors also.   Well my dad ended up with alzhimers, but it didn't show up till he was 85,  I'm only 63, but maybe it's showing up early...........

Edited by Jim Chuk
1 person likes this

Posted

Okay.  Doors.  I thought we were talking Wings.  Or is that a British dialect or something?  

Like the engine hiding under the bonnet or when you have too much luggage for in the boot you have to get a lorry...

smiley-face-poke.gif

Posted

Got some measurements back from the buyer today and it sounds like these are about 2-3" shorter top and bottom than a Kitfox 2. And yes Larry were talking about plexiglass doors those thingies that keep you from falling out when you do a wickedly awesome forward slip!

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Jolly Good Show Larry!

EDMO

Doors aren't hard to make - just fit them to the fuselage.

Edited by Ed In Missouri