Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Cooling questions

4 posts in this topic

Posted

Why the Belly radiator on all older kitfoxes. I look at some of the newer kitfoxes and see an oil cooler way up front in the cowl and a radiator right below it molded right in to the cowl. so why is this not done with the older ones with the 582 engine set up. It sure looks nice.

Posted

The round cowl was the signature look for Kitfox until the model V.  The round cowl doesn't lend itself to an internal radiator very well.

cowltrim.jpg

This is an oil cooler.  I'm going to follow this lead on the Mangy Fox.

xoffr2.jpg

This is (was?) an attempt at making the round cowl into a pressure cowl to cool a Volkswagen.

Posted

Sure that does make sense with the round cowl, I have a smooth cowl for my model 1 not sure what I want to do yet for my radiator. I have never done fiberglass work but am always up for a challenge. Thanks

Posted

I would guess it had to do with the large and very hot exhaust expansions for the 2 stroke engines which the 4 strokes don't have. My hangar mate did fiberglass work to add a motorcycle radiator just below and behind the propeller on his Avid. It works well for him but requires a good size opening. Not sure if that would work on a Kitfox but it might be an option to look at.

Dan