Full Lotus survey

4 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi all;
I am in the process of gathering the hardware to put my KF Classic IV (w/ 912 ULS, GW 1232lbs) on FL 1260s (older generation floats). My only experience has been on Aerocet 1100 amphibs, which I liked but thought they were somewhat under-floated (1200lb KF).

Anyone out there have much time on FLs, especially recent ones (with the step stiffener plates & sacs)? Any preference on the 1220s, 1260s or the 1450s for my size of machine? Any recommendations, yays or nays?

I'd appreciate any feedback.

Posted

I would go with 1450s all day long.  I have posted up about this on here lots of times.  With the additional power you have over the 582 I am running you should be fine as far as getting off the water at max take off weight.  The 1220 are going to be a little underfloated for you on the forward section, they will work, but be careful of coming off the power too quick as you can ship some water over the nose of the floats and she settles in.  The 1260s have the same forward section of the 1220s, but have longer tails on them making it harder to rotate for take off and therefore needing increased speed to get off the water.  The 1450 have the forward section off the 1650s and the tail sections off the 1220s.  This is the perfect float for the Avid / Kitfox planes as it gives you 15" more float ahead of the step and allows you to get the step 6" behind the CG and not ship water over the nose of them.  MAKE SURE if you get the floats that you inflate them as soon as you get them to make sure they will inflate STRAIGHT!  My 1450s had a horrible twist in them that killed the performance on the water and pretty much just pissed me off.  As I had pruchased them from the old owner, the new owners at FL would not fix them under warranty and it pissed me off so I put EDO 1320s on my Avid.

Little tricks.. If you find yourself on a hot day and not able to get them on step, if you have a shallow grassy area just run one float up on the grass and she will lay right over and get on step then head back to the water and make a normal take off run.  If you have a shallow weedy muddy area of the lake, use that area, you will get on step and in the air quicker.  The less water the better on any surface other than sand.. sand will stop you dead in your tracks in no time at all.  I have some vids on youtube playing on the FL floats.  Search for akavidflyer.

:BC:

Posted

Thnx LP, esp the T/O tips. I had heard that the 1450s were the way to go. The 1260s are "on loan" for a trial. They come with stiffener tubes but the rest of the hardware is up to me. One float is indeed warped when inflated so I'll have to see if I can straighten that out somehow. Much appreciated. CT.

Posted

On mine, I found that if I left the air pressure on two of the rear tubes at around 1 PSI it would take about 50% of the twist out of the tubes. 

:BC: