Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Control stick spacing

15 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm planning to make some changes to my control system that will include re-making the front control stick assembly. I noticed that the spacing on the front sticks is about 14 7/8" from center to center. The center to center distance of the ruder pedal pairs is about 17 1/2". It looks like the reason for the closer spacing on the sticks is to accommodate the aileron bell crank on the left side. Does anyone see any problem with making the stick spacing match the pedals? The bell crank won't be a factor anymore.

Thanks,

Luke D.

Posted (edited)

I think you are going to have a problem there unless you have a Magnum - trying to get the stick full over when your knee/leg is resting against the side of the cockpit - believe that is why they spaced the sticks toward the center more.  They gave you more room on the pedals for your big boots !

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Thanks Ed. That makes sense. I'll probably do a quick mockup to see what the clearance to the outside (door, etc.) would look like. It's not really a large difference. I was just curious.

Posted (edited)

Luke,  Make sure you try it with neutral and full-back stick too - My knees are about 5 inches across and upper legs about 7 inches - maybe if you are skinny, you could get by with it - Dholly, from what he has posted,  probably cant.....Maybe this is what the bubble doors are for?

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Why go through all that trouble. When I am flying I rest my left hand on my knee and use only two fingers and my thumb to fly. You need very little control input.

Posted

There has only been only two times I have run out of flaperons. Both times full flaps in a crosswind. I do not use flaps during a crosswind landing or takeoff. Makes your ass pucker!

2 people like this

Posted

Why go through all that trouble. When I am flying I rest my left hand on my knee and use only two fingers and my thumb to fly. You need very little control input.

Well, I'm not making a new stick assembly because of the offset stick spacing. I just thought that if I'm making a new one anyway, I might want to center the sticks on the pedals while I'm at it. I may even end up making the new assembly with the same spacing as the old, but I haven't had a chance to get in the plane and test it out yet. I was just kind of wondering if anyone had any reasons not the center the sticks with the pedals.

Luke D.

Posted

I think if you centered the stick to the rudder it would be to far to the left.

Posted (edited)

Luke,

When you are doing your test, make sure that you have your feet on the pedals and everything is set up like normal flight -

any time you change one thing, you find out that there are more things that have to be changed.   I'm sure that Dean Wilson had good reasons for locating each part when he made the prototype plane.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't or couldn't make changes to suit yourself - Just writing from experience, as I have probably made more changes to my Foxy than most builders would ever consider.

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I brought the fiberglass seat home from the hangar last night. I'll try it out today.

Posted

Okay, I sat in the plane with the pedals, stick, seat, and door installed. I don't think I would want to move the stick all the way so it is centered with the pedals. It would work for me, but for a bigger person it probably wouldn't be the best. It is a little farther toward the center than I would like though. I think I'm going to split the difference, and move the center of the pedals in and the sticks out so that they are centered on each other.

Ed, I know what you mean about making changes. I started building a plane back in 1991 when I was just out of high school. I made a lot of changes, and the build kind of stalled (mostly because I got married though). Believe it of not, I am trying to limit the things I am changing. I'll admin that I do have a hard time building to plans though...

Posted (edited)

Luke,

I agree - every change costs in building time - sometimes in money too.   I started my Foxy in 1997 - it was 98% finished in 2007 when it fell off of the trailer in the Yukon Territory - Several changes and repairs and I am up to about 2016 to get it finished again.

I would keep the pedals apart even if they don't match the stick centers.

On the other hand, if you are not happy with your build, then why build it that way?

Good Building,

Ed\MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted (edited)

Just something to consider, if you fly in cold weather, take into account your multiple layers of heavy clothing and boot packs.  Give yourself as much room as you can, around and between the rudder peddals and side to side on the stick stick.  In my MKIV, the tightest space was left stick movement.  There was very little with winter clothes on; you can move your right knee over but the left one hits the door and that's it.  It spooked me a couple of times in turbulence.  Another thing I learned that almost cost me my plane was never fly with welt sole boots.  I hooked the sole under the center tube of the frame once on landing; not a fun situation.

Edited by SuberAvid

Posted

How in the world can you work the rudder pedals in your MKIV with BOOTS on????:-)

I'm known for flying barefoot or in cold weather with thick warm socks and fleece slippers just to work the pedals. In the coldest I would wear the equivalent of wrestling shoes and thick socks. my Magnum is a different story. I can wear pack boots in it!

Posted

Good points guys. What you're saying makes sense Randy. I guess you can move your right leg toward the middle because there is no inward curve of the side of the fuselage like there is on your left.

I'm not a big guy, so this won't be much of a factor for me, but I'd like to make it as comfortable as I can for others too.