Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Rib stiching

10 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi all I'm working on a mk4 and just finished covering and rib stiching the wings the question I have is do I have to stich the controll surfaces ? Thanks rustypost-712-0-10293400-1405208835_thumb.jpg

Posted

I don't plan on stitching the tail on my Kitfox project.

Posted

rib-stitching is not required on the wings or tail.

EDMO

Posted

The fabric on the tail really flutters. Wouldn't hurt to do it.

Posted

My Avid had those surfaces stitched. 

Posted

I stitched the wings but nothing else.

:BC:

Posted

Your to cheap Leni.  :french11:

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks for the help the reason I did the stiching in the first place is in the future I would like to up grade from the 582 and take advantage of the long speed wing Rusty

Posted

Your to cheap Leni.  :french11:

naw, not to cheap, but it was not in the book to do it so I didn't.  The only reason I stitched the wing was because my brothers KF was having issues with the bottom side sagging down and I did not want to have to deal with trying to inject glue under the fabric to re-stick it a few years after the recover. 

More stitching calls for more backing calls for more poly brush to fill it all in and it all adds up.  I was trying to keep the heavy pig light ( I failed miserably when it came in at 571 pounds) But that was due to tires that weighed 35 pounds each and a dash that rivals my cessna :lol:

Another reason for not stitching the tail is because I knew I would be dragging it through the willows and having rocks tossed at it so I would probly recovering the tail feathers every few years anyway.  I first flew it in 09 and its about time to recover the tail as the ravens have put a few holes in them, trailering hangar rash scraped the fabric a bit and as suspected, the willows and rocks have not been kind to them.

I think stitching the tail is personal preference but not required.  We are not flying fast enough to get it fluttering or ballooning on a flat surface.  If they were full air-foiled surfaces, you may have a valid argument for it IMO

:BC:  :BC:

Posted

You are right Leni, you do not have to do it. I will stitch my Skyraider tail though. You can not shrink the fabric as tight on the tail because you will bend the tubes, in turn the fabric does flutter a little more than normal. I like the looks of rib stitching on a fabric airplane. The addition of that little weight will mean nothing.