Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

MINI-SPOTLIGHTS

8 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I was looking at Motorcycle parts on ebay trying to find a HID Landing light, and found these cute little mini-spots for $8.39 each.   No ad gave the size and no answer came when I asked, so I bought a pair.

They sure as heck wont make landing lights, but look like a very bright little LED.  

I thought about putting them on wingtips for wig-wag lights, or on the rear of my wingtips, or somewhere, for imitation tail lights. 

They are about 7/8" OD, and only pull about 1/3 amp on 12 volts.

They say "100% Waterproof", but there is no O-ring where the parts screw together, so I think some kind of sealer should be added there, or mount them in a rubber grommet.

I'm still looking for a HID landing light at a reasonable price, and I wont find one in "aircraft lights".

EDMO

post-399-0-04942900-1401235459_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

By landing light, do you really mean a light you want to use to fly at night into an unlight strip?  If so, good luck.  If your more wanting it for recognition, then there are quite a few pretty cheap options out there.

how about a shot of your little spot light plugged in??

:BC:

Posted

Leni,

I said, "They sure as heck wont make landing lights".

I will see if I can get a photo of the light is puts out - next week - got medical tests this week.

EdMO

Posted

yes, but you also said "I'm still looking for a HID landing light at a reasonable price, and I wont find one in "aircraft lights"..... so I asked if you looking for a sure enough landing light, or more of a recognition light... I know those little spot lights are not gonna be enough for a landing light :lmao:

Posted (edited)

Yes,  Looking for a HID landing light that about meets the specs of the 35 to 50 watt aircraft HID lights.  I don't know how this is going to work out - going to try to take photo of one of these mini-spotlights in the daylight from a distance, and another at night of the opposite way to try and show how much light they put out.

They might also make good courtesy lights?

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted (edited)

Leni,

I promised to TRY to get some photos of the output of these little LED mini-spotlights - Well, I gave it my best shot, but it is hard to get a good photo - the light output is more than the photos show.

The biggest drawback that I found with these lights are the wires - they are about the size of a human hair - I soldered them to heavier wire and hooked it up to my truck accessory output.

Light photo #1 is from about 65 feet away in daylight - the little light looked brighter to me than the photo shows.

The light is in the middle of my truck rear window.

"        "     #2  same distance - camera zoomed in

"        "     #3  same distance, after sundown

"        "     #4  same distance - zoomed in

EDMO

post-399-0-34036200-1402540051_thumb.jpg

post-399-0-52799900-1402540092_thumb.jpg

post-399-0-69014900-1402540119_thumb.jpg

post-399-0-34793100-1402540147_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Thanks for the pics. I think I will stick with my lights, they are about 1000 times brighter :lol:

Posted (edited)

I was hoping to use these as tail lights, or back-up lights when I reverse the prop in Beta position!  :lol:

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri
1 person likes this