Rubber Engine mounting bushings

9 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm changing over from Dyna smooth mount to the standard motor mount(thanks Bandit!) and need to know what kind of rubber to use for the mounting bushings. The manual says to use neoprene rubber, but I think neoprene is too spongy, like the stuff they using wetsuits. i'm thinking It's not going to be strong enough. Any thoughts? And where to get it?

post-55-0-67712200-1400514657_thumb.jpg

post-55-0-72734000-1400514678_thumb.jpg

Posted (edited)

Bryce,

Check out local autoparts store - I saw some cheap at Autozone - The neoprene, or maybe urethane?, bushings used for trucks, 4WD vehicles - must be tough enough for them?   The ones I saw were red, and came in several small sets.   My Soob has some Red bushings on the engine mount - donno where Dave Johnson got them, or what they are for, except that they work.

I believe I also have some black neoprene bushings that were made for shock absorber mounts - have to be a little tough for that.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Neoprene is available in many hardnesses, Neoprene is not as resistant to oils and fuel as Nitrile or viton. Just a guess but I would be looking for something around a Shore A 40-60 Duro.

Dave

Posted

AC Spruce has them for general aviation planes, $$$

Kitfox also sells the pucks.  I don't know the cost.

Supposedly Brett is returning phone calls now (I haven't tried him) you could try Airdale.

Posted

Hi Bryce,  I have some made up that came with an Avid that I bought a few years ago.  If I can find them you can have them.  I'll look for them tomorrow.  Jim Chuk

Posted

When I needed new ones Brett had the material.

Posted

Thanks guys for all the responses. Jim that would be great! Bryce

Posted (edited)

Hi Bryce,  I found those rubber bushings.  There are 8 of them.  seems he didn't do the best job cutting them in a nice circle, but I think they will work.  If you took a short piece of 3/8" all thread rod, some washers and nuts, you could make a clamp that you could put in a drill press or lathe and spin them against some sandpaper to round them out if you like.  I need your address to send them to you if you still want them.  Jim Chuk

post-329-0-99085500-1400688466_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jim Chuk

Posted

Hi Jim, thanks for the offer! I appreciate your willingness to share those with me. I'm just going to get a sheet of rubber cut some. Thanks! Bryce