Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Stewart Systems paint?

9 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm completely through all the gray ekofill/ ekoprime coats and will be headed into a paint booth this weekend :) is there anyone with experience using Stewart Systems that could give me any tips or things to look for as I paint my new bird. just trying to be ahead of the game to get the best paint job that I can. Thanks a ton I will get some pics up next week when its all done

-Robert-

Posted (edited)

The final coats are thin - but we put it on too thin - spray it a little thicker than you think you should and overlap it a lot.

For Yellow or Red, you need a coat of white first, and sand between coats if you let it dry overnight.

EDMO

If you want to call and talk to one of the guys who did the spraying, I can give you his number on a PM.

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

It's not a hard process but it is alot different using the Stewarts paint as opposed to a paint like Emron. I finished painting mine last summer and It turned out great once I figured out how to apply it.

Stewarts has multiple videos on applying it and I used a combination of all due to the temperature being close to 90 with high humidity. I painted the wings first and by the second wing I had a winning process nailed down.

I sprayed very light coats of Insignia white over the grey Ekofill letting each one get fly paper tacky before the next coat and when I had 100% coverage I put on a wet coat. Each additional coat would take longer to tack up and by the final coat it was taking more than an hour before it was ready.

I had a hard time resisting the urge to put on heavy coats and the first wing put me in my place. If you can continue with the light coats until you have color saturation and then one or two wet coats letting it get FLY PAPER STICKY without paint on your finger between them you'll win with it and there wont be a need for sanding. Be sure to use Isopropyl alcohol before you paint also.

Travis

post-379-0-55233400-1396473930_thumb.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

TRAVIS,

I can see your wing stand / rotator at the other end - but you got me on this one - What is holding up the wing at the near end?

EDMO

Posted

another rotator ED.

post-379-0-15105300-1396523784_thumb.jpg

Posted

Very nice looking paint!

Posted

I see the rotator now - Thought you had invented a secret anti-gravity system, and I wanted one!  Ha!

EDMO

Posted

Nice paint job - wish I could get someone to spray mine like that.

EDMO)

Posted

Thanks for the input, I'm very pleased with how our paint turned out. the main things I learned for the next guy would be 1. take your time with the prep work clean everything very well and when its all cleaned wipe it down again with alcohol just for good measure. 2. wear a tyvek paint suit and respirator.  3.EkoPoly seems to spray best between 70*-75* any colder and its much easier to get a run. take your time more light coats are better than fewer heavy coats. 4. if you have a run use a wide foam brush to carefully brush it out while its still wet sooner is better than later, if you do this especially if its not on the final coat you will probably not have to do anything to fix it later it will go away with the following coats.  If it is on your final wet coat just brush it away anyways and when it starts to tack up just hit that spot again with another wet coat and it will be gone.

Materials used were - lots of blue shop paper towels I mean lots. Alcohol for pre cleaning (don't even think about touching wet paint with anything other than water it will have a bad chemical reaction and you will be doing lots of sanding trust me. 2 1/2 gal of your base color more if you have a learning curve to deal with I had an extra quart and was glad I did still have a little left.  1/2 gal of your color coat will do most designs. 2 gal eko fill 1 gal eko bond 1 bottle eko clean 1-2 quarts eko prime

Thanks again for you guys' input I hope my experience can help the next guy

-Robert-