No thermostat?

4 posts in this topic

Posted

High 90+ degree days are right around the corner and so are high engine temps. I'm thinking about taking my thermostat out of my 582 when it gets above 80. Is there anything wrong with that. I will let her warm up 5 min and watch the temps, but does the engine have to run a thermostat? Thanks Bryce

Posted (edited)

I know that auto engines are designed to work at a certain temperature set by the engine maker by the thermostat.

I am wondering if you could get shock cooling without one, and would there be more carbon buildup at lower running temps?

I know little about the 2-strokes, but my Soob is supposed to have the thermostat installed and not removed.

Most 4-strokers run best at 190 to 210F, depending on makers specs.

If yours runs too hot in summer, maybe you need better rad / cooling system?

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Thanks Ed, temperatures would not be that low. Rotax recommends 135° and since that ambient temperature would be only 45° away from that I'm not too worried about the temperature. I have 145° thermostat that I got from Napa and the standard Rotax 135° thermostat, and the opening difference between the two is about two times the difference. So I'm wondering, in the deep heat of the summer, if I just totally removed the thermostat will the heating problem resolved itself. I do have the radiators baffled off Like Chris Bolkan showed. I'm wondering if the engine needs the back pressure from the thermostat or for some other reason it would need the thermostat other than the heat, because down here in the south we got plenty of heat!

Posted

at times running no thermostat can cause overheating issues too.  The thermostat will restrict flow and help the engine run cooler as well.  If you find that your still having overheating issues you can get machine washers to put in the thermostat housing to slow down the flow and give the radiator a little more time to cool the water.  I know that method is used in racing sometimes.

:BC:

1 person likes this