Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Is a compass card really required by FAA?

5 posts in this topic

Posted

I think the title says it - The IA said we had to put a compass card in the J3 - I see in the regs where you have to have a "magnetic direction indicator", but don't see where you have to have a card.

Most everyone flies by GPS now anyway!

EDMO

Posted

I was told yes.. if its required equipment, its required to have the correction card.  I just put a yellow sticky note over mine that said inop.. he didn't think that was as funny as I did.  Check the type certificate and see if its required equip. for the J3.

What I ended up doing was grabbing a correction card, put some random numbers on it and just personally knew that it was bogus and not to use the card :lol:  the IA wouldn't know the difference at a glance, they just need to see that its there.

:BC:

Posted

So - now we have concluded the TCDS is the requirement for certified planes -

What is the compass card reg for experimentals with no TCDS?  Is there a reg that says "you got to have it"?

That is what I was getting to.

EdMO

Posted

Thanks Leni, 

That's exactly what I have been looking for - got to print and frame it - but printer is not working now for some unknown ailment probably concerning wireless which blinked last week.  Hope this one don't get away.

EdMO