Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Should I buy avid B? Novice. Help.

12 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi all. Complete (and I mean complete) newbie here. Apologies in advance. I am taking flying lessons and want a cheap top operate little hour builder. My homework led me to an Avid or kitfox.

Now, I have seen one for sale without a permit in my price range. Please could I get some comments on these questions. Thank you in advance.

1) it is serial number 180 something. Is this an Avid B?

2) it has a rotax 503 that has stood unstarted for around 6 to 7 years. Is this model of engine ok and reliable for a 2 stroke? Only 80 hours but will it need completely stripping and rebuilding desks etc due to being stood?

3) flaperons! I hear horror stories about these. As I am learning to fly then should I be worried about flaperons and associated lack of yaw authority? Also flaperons attachments I hear can come lose as wood can get wet and rot? Do they need to have drains? Do you need bother using the flaps

4) is an Avid Flyer ok to learn on or tricky. It is a tricycle by the way. Appreciate this is an avid kitfox forum but some good and bad views on the avid would be handy please.

5) given it has been stood in a barn for 6 ish years but was ok when last flown then what is likely to be needed to renew permit? Wiring checks for vermin perhaps? What should Obe checking that is obvious to you chaps?

Best wishes.

Wonderful forum you guys!!

Posted (edited)

If it's an A model, the fuselage would be 36" wide at your shoulders when seated in it.  The B model would be 39".  Rotax says to put new seals in every 5 years, that is maybe sooner than nessesary, but I would do it on the 503 because that will allow a good inspection on the bearings and such inside the engine as well as making sure you don't have an air leak past the old seals.   If the rib tails are rotting, you should probably be able to see it on the exposed ends of the ribs.  Not sure what you mean about renewing the permit, do you mean the annual conditional inspection.  Are you in the US?  Don't be afraid of flaperons, just learn to use your feet on the rudder pedals.  A good slip/skid indicator that is easy to see, and using it till you get the feel for when you are flying coordinated is a big help.  Jim Chuk 

Edited by Jim Chuk

Posted

Cheers Jim. In UK we have a permit to fly scheme for non CofA aircraft. So permit = annual inspection pass. Thanks for your advice. I agree engine needs stripping and inspecting. I just don't know whether to bin it and get a 912. Thanks. Ps do you actually bother to use them as flaps.

Posted

An A model Avid will be very small for a 912.  The 503 is an awesome 2-stroke motor and a great match for an A.  Arguably the best 2-stroke aircraft motor Rotax ever made, but it will definitely need a total rebuild.  Unless it was fogged (storage oil sprayed into it before it was left to sit) the crankshaft is probably junk, too.  

Don't go cheap on the rebuild and it will serve you for a long, long time, very reliably.

Count on ~$2000 for the overhaul of the motor and if you can get the paperwork sorted in a legal fashion, you'd have a great little cheap time builder.

1 person likes this

Posted

Larry make that $4000 for the overhaul if you replace the crank. The 503 is the best 2 stroke you can buy! I now have 974 hours on mine.

Posted

You don't have to use the flaps but they are nothing to be afraid of and they help in the short field and slow flight performance of the plane.  Once you get used to flying it a while then try it using the flaps for landing, takeoff and slow flight.

Posted

Just a quick 'thank you' to those who have offered your advice.  I very much appreciate it.  If nothing else, I can start my negotiations with the seller from a firmer footing, having a better idea of how much wonga (cash) I will need to plough into the Avid for engine re-build etc.

Only thing that puts me off is the pull start 503.  I guess you can get an electric start conversion kit, but I don't fancy stepping out into the air if the engine cuts out to re-start the thing with the pull cord :)  Better practice the dead stick landings :)

Thanks.

p.s. can you guys in the States get hold of replacement (behind instrument panel) fuel tanks?  Do they ever come up for sale?  Or I heard something about a retro-fit tank mod that can be fitted to the wings near the wing roots like in later models.  Where can these be purchased from please? Cheers.

Posted (edited)

Thanks.

p.s. can you guys in the States get hold of replacement (behind instrument panel) fuel tanks?  Do they ever come up for sale?  Or I heard something about a retro-fit tank mod that can be fitted to the wings near the wing roots like in later models.  Where can these be purchased from please? Cheers.

If you're interested I have a new poly behind the instrument panel fuel tank with a new uncut fiberglass instrument panel to attach to it. I went with new wing tanks so didn't use it. that seems to be what most do anymore but if you don't want to cut into your wings it is an option. If you're interested let me know I will try and get some pics of it for you. also have the original fill neck and cap for it as well.

-Robert-

:edit: so I don't have any pics here with me at the moment but I have some posted here http://boise.craigslist.org/rvs/4348016472.html you can look at

Edited by High Country

Posted

Hi Robert

Thanks, that is good to know.  I will wait until I see the Avid (hopefully this weekend) before getting back to you, as of course it may not be worth buying in the first place.

Also, I stumbled upon a really useful article which discusses the Avid and Kitfox history, flight characteristics and so on (and compares this with the current EuroFox kits based on the Avid) which was made by our UK LAA (Light Aircraft Association).  Those EuroFox kits look awesome, but massively out of my price range, so I am likely to still be sticking with an Avid. 

Here is the link in case anyone is interested (though please don't beat me up for mentioning Euro Fox on an Avid KitFox forum - just so happens that the article answers some of the questions I was asking very well :)  http://www.eurofoxuk.co.uk/LA%20Nov%20EuroFOX%20FD%20flight%20test.pdf

Thanks again for your help chaps.

Posted

The Aerotrek/Eurofox is not a dirty name here.  I know of at least one of the usual suspects around here that even owns one!  *Gasp!*

Posted (edited)

We don't care what the bird is called - We even have some members flying factory "spam-cans"!  all are welcome here, even PPC flyers with the engine in front......some of us even admit to being "Ercoupe Drivers", and some with the tailwheel mounted in the nose,  but the "real pilots" still talk to us.   :lol:

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I wouldn't put electric start on the 503, no need for it. I have never owned an airplane with an electrical system. Thousands of airplanes flying with no starters.