670 Drags It Up

7 posts in this topic

Posted

Hey, I know this doesn't belong here but this is the only place I know where 2 strokes get respect.  Dig this guy.  With airshocks no less. 

Posted

I bought the manual to build one of those years ago - Got hooked on the AvidFox lines and didn't let go!

He may get off fast, but our planes will outcruise him.

EDMO

Posted (edited)

I looked long and hard for an Avid but didn't act fast enough on the few that came up in 2012 when I was in the buying mood.  After my Luscombe buy and sell fiasco I just couldn't pass on my 701 kit.  I love 'em both.  I'm staying open on power options but I'm leaning towards 4 stroke today.  This guy though, changes the equation on so many levels.  I don't know how familiar you are with the CH701 but that's not the stock gear.  You can tell the stock gear because it's usually bent from hard landings.  That's a home brew gear based on an ATV.  Everything about the wheels, gear and brakes is fresh thinking. I've never seen one off the ground quicker either.

Edited by Emory Bored

Posted

well... it is not the fact that he has a 670 in the nose that make is get off the ground so quick, its the fact that they are so damn ugly the earth repels them.. Zeniths don't fly, they are repelled from the earth :lol:

I just got my 800 engine back a few days ago and have the adapter plate to bolt the gear box onto it now.. I am ready to start moving forwards with that conversion and hopefully have a very reliable fuel injected 120-140 HP engine stuck in the nose of the Avid by spring time.

:BC:

Posted

I wondered what happened to that project.  I figured you'd been busy with the 180 and gave your Avid short shrift in the back of the hangar.  

Oh, and by the way.  The 701 kinda grows on you.....like a wart. 

Posted

I can't wait to see numbers and how the 800 engine performs for you. From everything I've been reading it has gotten me excited about a new engine choice.

Posted

LOL, I have seen a few of them fly up here, and on floats, with the 912 and a light load... holy shit, that 701 is a PERFORMER!!   But its kinda like riding a moped or hitting the fat chick.. lotsa fun till your buddies see ya doing it :lmao:

I hope to get it on a test stand in a few weeks and do the initial run on it to see how it likes swinging a prop.  You can bet there will be a video of the first run on the engine!

:BC: