Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Alaska Bush Tires

13 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I saw these on craigslist for sale.  They are just like Randy's on his AVID Plus.  If I still had my AVID I would buy them.

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/for/4146090359.html

Edited by AVID STOL HH

Posted

Once there is cord showing (per the ad) can they be re-capped I wonder?

Posted

Jeff,

You might as well buy them; your going to have to buy another plane now that your hooked. :drool3: JackAk just bought a pair and Leni said he had some drummed up so they are now the norm for AK Avids.

Larry, I bought some stuff made by Locktite that is made to repair the rubber on conveyor belts.  It is a two part material and also has cleaner and etching chemicals to prep the rubber prior to application.  It is pretty spendy stuff so I hope it works.  I will put it on before I go back to tires in the spring so no test reports for a while.

Posted

Dont rub it in Randy.  Hey, when you going to take me up.

Posted

let's go!

Posted (edited)

Just curious, but what kind of tires were these? Since the ad expired and there isn't any mention of them in this thread I'm left clueless (nothing new, but I still don't like it  :) )

Edited by lostman

Posted

I think they were 31" bush wheels... I have 31" airstreaks for mine but I have not gotten them on the plane yet.  Hopefully this time home I will get the floats off and get the gear on.

:BC:

Posted

This is your plane on 30" airstreaks.  Any questions? :P

post-75-0-31691600-1389570672_thumb.jpg

Posted (edited)

Sorry--  I couldn't resist...

sorry+brah_3b2631_4658497.jpg

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted

Haha, I guess I deserve that.  But I think the the real reason is the bumper sticker under the hard core section.

Posted

Randy, I think if we got Larry up here playing in the rocks and sand he would understand.. unlike the guys that put them on to land on manicured grass strips, they do soak up the bumps and allow us to go places that would put his 21" hard tires through the seat pan :lol:

I think Jeff got a wake up call on his 8:50s landing and taking off the McArthur river sand bar.  soft fluffy sand and little tires just don't work well.

And yes, the difference between 8:50s and 26" bush wheels is a big as it is between 26" and 31".  Unless you have done it and tried it, ya just cant know the difference it makes.

:BC:

however... that is a funny ass picture Larry!  :lmao:  :BC:

Posted

I have a friend who tried the bedliner and said it didn't work well for him; it pealed off; but it sounds like this guy has had good success with it.  I have not applied the Locktight conveyor belt repair material to mine yet, need to wait until it warms up but I think the bedliner might be worth a try for overall protection and a alot cheaper.  Thanks Larry.