Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Pattern speeds, and RPM's

4 posts in this topic

Posted

I have a Avid MK IV HH W/ 582 GH.  What are the best speeds and rpm's for downwind, base, and finale.  I have 450 hrs. in C150, and Cherokee 140.

Thanks Russ. N844RS

Posted (edited)

Russ, 60 mph is your friend. Your rpms will vary from plane to plane and motor to motor.

Takeoff and climb out no slower than 60. Good climb, yet good via over the nose.

Final 60 mph is good, too. Adjust your downwind and base accordingly. This speed gives plenty of safety margin while not being too fast for approach.

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted

You'll find that compared to spam cans there is no need to fly RPM's and speeds to fly a decent approach. You can get away with being high and fast with an Avid. I did my Bi annual in a 172 SP this year and I couldn't believe how much extra brain power it took to fly a decent approach compared to my Avid. You can fly wide open down final at 100 mph until your 1/4 mile from the runway and pull it idle and you will still have to add power to make the runway. These little birds slow down instantly when you pull power out and if your high they will slip like a homesick angel. It's entirely too easy to save an incredibly poorly flown approach. :hammerhead:

Posted

What they both said :lol: I don't do set rpm or fixed approach speeds. Generally cruise speed till I'm turning base, then slow up as I'm pulling through the turn. 70-75 on final, flaps and 50 on short final... As in short short final once I know the runway is made, then it's fly it to the runway, using power to set the sink rate. Touch down is right around 40, but I'm not looking at any gauges then, it's pure seat of the pants. :BC: