Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Any of you guys into 4 wheeling?

4 posts in this topic

Posted

I was curious if any of you guys were into wheeling? I live in the mecca of rock crawling here in Norcal. I have almost as much fun doing this as I do flying. The key word is Almost. Anyways here are some pics of my other big boy toy. It started life as a 1994 4-Runner. It's been converted to a solid axle and the rear coils were ditched for the more conventional leaf springs. It's rolling on 37" tires. It has dual transfer cases and in double low has a final drive of 223.1. You can put it in first gear, let out the clutch and go in the house and make a sandwich and it would still be in the driveway. Here are some pics.

IMG_3538.jpg

IMG_3268.jpg

IMG_3931.jpg

IMG_3933.jpg

IMG_3949.jpg

IMG_3486-1.jpg

A short video of it right after it came back from the fabrication phase.

Posted

Once upon a time I was into 4x4's.  Chevys, mostly.  Not much for rocks for crawling in this part of the country, just lots of mud! 

My best trucks were both '85 Chevys, the first one was a Blazer, 4" & 3" lift with a Detroit 6.2 diesel, 700r4, NP241, 8.5" front 14 bolt w a Detroit in the rear.  I was a big fan of 36 x 12.5 Buckshot Mudders.

That truck got wrecked and I moved most of the drive line into a diesel pickup chassis.  Only difference being a Dana 44HD in the front with a clutch type LS and 6" all in the suspension.  (Same tires.)

I sold that truck in '95 when I bought my '94 Dodge-Cummins truck.  Other than a Loc-Rite in the Dana 80-hybrid rear it is stock.  (Regular cab, Cummins, NP4500, NP241HD, Dana 60/80H, Hiniker Plow for the last 2 years.)

Posted

Just throwing mud, never got into rock climbing as there is not too much of it around here.  I picked up a chenowth Sandrail when I was in Hawaii and brought it back... Lots of fun inthe mud, and even more fum on my buddys moto cross track.  I have an 80 blazer that I lifted etc for runnin in the mud and for a plow truck.  Got 38" on it but dont remember what they are... some BFG tire if I remember right.  I hardly ever fire it up anymore...

That truck about got me divorced... when the wife was in the hospital having my last kid, I decided that would be a good time to lift it and put big tires on it... I went to pick her up (she is 4'10 to begin with) she was one hostile ole lady.. having just had a kid, she was no too damn impressed with having to try and climb into the blazer :lol:  The kid Turns 18 on the 22nd of this month and I still hear that damn story evertime someone new comes to the house for a party... she just has to tell the world what an unthoughtfull prick I am :lol:

:beerchug: <fer all the toys we have, may we grow older but never grow up !

Posted

A couple of pics from my wasted youth...

395_AVE8Rs_Page_2_jpg42bee71c0f441531551