Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Weighing Bondo?

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Maybe I aint too very smart, but I didn't just fall off of the turnip truck - So somebody explain this to me:

I ran out of "Lightweight" Bondo, and needed a little bit to finish my leading edge, so I went to Wally World and looked for a can. They were out of the "Light" and only had the regular, so I bought a can, figuring with the little amount I was going to use that weight would not matter.

Upon returning home, I compared the weights listed on the different cans - And they were exactly the same!

The cans also had the same amount in them originally.

Somebody tell me how, if you put 1 pound of "Lightweight" Bondo on one side of a balance scale, and 1 pound of regular Bondo on the other side, that the "Lightweight" pound is going to be lighter?

Maybe Bondo is just full of HOT AIR? :huh:

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Man I can't wait to retire where the most pressing thing on my plate for the day is weighing bondo........Thanks for making me laugh Ed as I sit here at a desk in front of THREE computer monitors. :news:

Posted

If I remember right, the light bondo sands and shapes a lot easier than the regular. When I was doing my wing it had some dents n dings in the aluminum leading eadge. I used the kitty hair bondo so it had a little strength to it also. I used the light bondo to form the fairings for my nav lights on the wing tips after building most of it up with the kitty hair bondo. :BC:

Posted

There are less calories in the light bondo but the regular taste better.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Man I can't wait to retire where the most pressing thing on my plate for the day is weighing bondo........Thanks for making me laugh Ed as I sit here at a desk in front of THREE computer monitors. :news:

Well Joey, Some of us old Vets have to do the IMPORTANT things, instead of flying puters all day! Just sounds like false advertising to me.

Leni - What the heck is "Kitty hair Bondo"? Is that an Alaska thing, something like hoarfrost, or Mukluk?

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

http://www.azautobodysupply.com/fievkihagasi.html

Not an Alaska thing Ed, just an automotive thing :lol:  It is basically a bondo type filler with strands of fiberglass to hold it together and give it some strength.  It does not shrink up and pull apart like bondo does over time.  I have used it for final fill on cowlings and nose bowls as well as cars and boats.  The stuff works good and has some decent strength to it.

:BC:

Posted (edited)

http://www.azautobodysupply.com/fievkihagasi.html

Not an Alaska thing Ed, just an automotive thing :lol:  It is basically a bondo type filler with strands of fiberglass to hold it together and give it some strength.  It does not shrink up and pull apart like bondo does over time.  I have used it for final fill on cowlings and nose bowls as well as cars and boats.  The stuff works good and has some decent strength to it.

:BC:

Thanks for the info Leni,

Wish I had known about this before buying Lite Bondo - Guess you use the Lite Kitty?

2nd wing leading edge is finished - added new Riblett mod web strips to old ribs, now need to cut trailing edge and put new capstrips on - Then, I can get the other wing, that I thought was finished, off of the wall, and start the rib mod on it.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri