Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Buffalo Airways DC3 in the dirt

7 posts in this topic

Posted

They'll fix her.

Posted

Hmm, I used to watch that Ice Pilots TV show and seem to recall an episode where they had an engine out on that plane?

Posted

I was working as a fueler in Nashua NH when I got a call to fuel a DC 3 "Gooney Bird",..the reason was to add weight because of winds in excess of 70 miles an hour,.I drive the fuel truck down to where the DC-3 is,,connect ground..grab the ladder, reel out the hose and climb up on starboard wing..as I'm fueling inboard first,..a gust of wind comes along and the DANG TAIL LIFTS!!! I am squeezing that fuel nozzle so hard I thought I was going to squeeze the fuel flow off lol..well I get inboard topped off and start on the other inboard lol actually they are side by side so I guess you can call it an outboard,..this particular DC-3 had the rag tips and control surfaces,..as I'm fueling the other tank the wind picks up again,..there is a bone DC-3 no engines,,1 landing gear leg..no tail wheel etc,..like I said a bone about 150 feet away from the plane I'm fueling..it lifts up off the ground over a 6 foot fence! and sets back down on the other side..didn't hit anything,..my ladder is up against the fence now..the tail of the DC-3 Im on is in the air again! and I'm praying the plane doesn't leave the ground lol..I got the port tanks full after sliding down hanging over the trailing edge of the wing and retrieving my ladder,.. the plane was chalked but not tied down,..DC-3's will take flight at 70 mph..and without engines at less then 70 mph that was a very interesting day for sure lol

Posted

did you guys see the DC-3 on floats ? there is a video of it I'm thinking on you tube..

Posted

1 person likes this

Posted

that be the one Larry , thanks