Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Gas strut upgrade

6 posts in this topic

Posted

My Avid has those cheezy RV cupboard holder upper things for door latches. They scissor down and poke me in the back of the neck when the door is closed. I'm looking for pics or specific dimensions on how far apart the tabs need to be so I can find some el cheapo universal struts. Anybody on here with a KFIV or MKIV. I know they both came with struts.

Posted

what are the measurements on your now?  It seems that most are around 9" eye to eye and 45# lift.  I think that is what I got for mine, but I never installed them yet.

I went through the rack at car quest till I found the one I wanted.  The has a pretty dang good selection of them there.

Posted

Right now when the door is closed the two tabs are right together. With the door open it's 10" eye to eye. Here's a pic with the door open and door closed. The tab on the door is pretty much fixed but the one on the frame is just a hole drilled and one rivet. It would be easy to move. I just need the collapse and extended measurements of an easy to find universal strut.

IMG_3649-1.jpg

IMG_3650.jpg

Posted

Why not buy the easiest (most common application) 45# small strut first and then set you tabs to match it?

Just a thought.

Posted

That's my plan I was looking for what strut to use. I want something that is cheap, common,  and easy to find in case I ever need to replace one. Can you elaborate a bit more on the 45# or #45?

Edit: After some painful research on the list came up with two options

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/05-01177.php

Or McMaster.com

Part # 9416K312 + 9416K84

The Mcmasters parts are cheaper. They are a 3.54 stroke with 30lbs. Spruces strut is 3.15 stroke and 45lbs. Winder is the one that put up the McMasters part numbers.

Posted

Just go down to the local car parts house and look over the selection they have on the rack.  You want one with 45 pounds of lift.  Something in the area of 9" eye to eye and a 3" stroke.  Then you will place your brackets accordingly on the door frame and door post.

:beerchug: