Avid "B" Information

11 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi all, as most of you know I'm a kitfox owner and know little about avids other then they kinda look like my airplane (no idea why :dunno: )

I was walking around the local airport today and there was a shed with a door open so I peeked inside and what did I find?  A nice little, very basic Avid "B" with an inverted 582 and cheek radiators sitting on grove gear.

Looks like she hasnt been flown in a few years and she had a new Warp Drive prop mounted up front and a GSC prop on the ground that had been prop struck bad.

I immediately notived the fuel tank was in the panel.  The brakes were also cable actuated.

What other differences are there in the Model "B" from other Avids/Kitfox's?

Posted

Almost identical to the Kitfox 2. If it had cheek radiators that is an upgrade they did. The originally had the scoop on the side like my airplane does. Mine was a B but had the Heavy Hauler STOL wings added later with wing tanks so no dash tank.

From the Avid Brochures the files section

A models had Behind Panel Gas Tank, Wheel Barrow type wheels, Cable Brakes, Welded Engine Mount. Wood side and belly stringers

B models had Behind Panel gas tank, Alloy Wheels with cable brakes, Bolt on Engine Mount with Radiator stuck on the outside of fuselage just in front of Passenger door Upto about ser # 250. had a bulge glassed to cowling as air scoop for rad.

C models had wing tanks--some alu some Fiberglass, Matco Hydraulic disc brakes and wheels, Matco Tailwheel with 11/4" tailspring, Bolt on Engine Mount, Radiator inside the cowling at an angle on firewall passenger side. ser #'s 250C-900C Wood belly stringer.

MkIV had Redesigned Vagabond Style Cowling, Front mounted radiators, fiberglass wing tanks, Matco Hydraulic disk brakes and wheels, Maule Tailwheel with 11/2" tailspring, Offset taken out of fin, Offset
front mounting taken out of Stabiliser! Steel Tubing Dorsal, Belly, and side stringers. External Baggage Locker. Ser #'s 900D to around 1550D.

Bandit was a Stripped down MkIV. Ser#'s range as per MkIV BUT suffix"E" There was no difference in Firewall engine Mounting pattern from B models onwards as ALL the frames came from the same jig. Only the firewall back part of the jig changed from B onwards. Avid sold upgrades from one model to the next, eg Rotax 532 engine Mount/upgrade for A model--as the A model engine mount had to be cut from the A model frame and the Builder welded up the firewall parts some differenes could occur here.

Posted

Good to know.  I'm thinking about taking on an ultimate STOL plane project when my finances smooth out.  If he has not flown this airplane in years, which the airport owner confirmed for me then he may be willing to sell.  He has 4 other homebuilts he flies on a regular basis.  Might be a good deal for a non-flying model B.  I hear they are very lightweight which is always a plus

Posted

With no electric starter, a 532, and a basic set up mine weighed 484 originally.

Posted

Can you snap a pic of it?

Posted

Sure can I will just have to do it another day.  484lbs is pretty damn light.  What kind of takeoff roll did you have?

Posted

Here it is now at 540 or so. The 484 is just what was in the paperwork I got with the airplane. I'm wondering how they weighed it because I don't know how I picked up 60 lbs.

Pretty short takeoff at the beginning. This is with not much wind and about 20 gallons of fuel on board. With less than 10 gallons of gas and a 15kt headwind it's really exciting.

Posted

Wow short takeoff.  I haven't even paid attention to my takeoff roll in my kitfox yet.  Been too worried about the fan quitting.  Now that everything is in good working order should be able to work on my STOL abilities a little bit.

Posted

It is interesting the differences. I have a model C speedwing serial # 912. I have the external cowl scoop side radiator (for now). The scoop is removeable from the engine cowling. I also still have mechanical brakes (future upgrade to hydraulic) My hangar mate has a higher serial number model C aerobat speedwing. His originally had the radiator angled in front of the firewall inside the cowling.

Dan

Posted

I had a B model with a pull start 532. The plane weighed 445 lbs. It would climb like a rocket ship. Nice airplane! Very nimble and fun to fly. Jim

Posted

It is interesting the differences. I have a model C speedwing serial # 912. I have the external cowl scoop side radiator (for now). The scoop is removeable from the engine cowling. I also still have mechanical brakes (future upgrade to hydraulic) My hangar mate has a higher serial number model C aerobat speedwing. His originally had the radiator angled in front of the firewall inside the cowling.

Dan

Oops, just noticed I hit a 9 instead of 3. My serial number is 312. Must have been a gradual transition to some of the upgrades in the C model

Dan