Another great local aviator lost....God speed Fred!

6 posts in this topic

Posted

Fred was amazing Chief Master Sergeant, Pilot, Flight Engineer, and Mentor. I went through Flight Engineer school with his son and have known the family since I became stationed at Travis. They were hangared right behind me and I saw him just about everytime I was at the airport. He adminstered over 1000 Flight Engineer checkrides over the years for Airforce guys on Airforce jets so they could get their civilian FE tickets. I was totally shocked to hear about this. He was flying his pipeline route in his own plane as he he had done 1000's of times before. Stay safe out there there guys it can happen to anyone! Damn it this is the one thing I HATE about Aviation!!!

http://www.thereporter.com/news/ci_23867039/vacaville-man-killed-airplane-accident

Posted

Joey,

Thanks for posting and sorry about the loos of your friend. Aviators like him are rare.

EDMO

Posted

Sorry to here this Joey,It can happen to the best so enjoy life to its fullest.Sorry for your loss. Randy

Posted

So sorry Joey. I read the report and it sounds like a Fred was a very accomplished and talented individual. Very sad time for family and friends to see a fellow aviator gone west before his/her time. No rhyme or reason to it, we've all been there and wonder why.

Posted

It always sucks to loose a friend and a great aviator.  It does not do much to console, but at least he was out doing something he obviously loved.

I live by the Don Johnson (not the actor, the guide up here that probly has his name on the plaque anytime you see a bear in an airport) line of thinking... He beleived that when you number was up it was up, until then there was nothing you could do to speed it up or slow it down.  After some of the crap I have walked away from without a scratch, I believe it. 

Condolances to the family and you. its never easy to understand how it could happen to someone of that caliber.

Posted

Joey, sorry for your loss. Bryce