Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Fabric or metal Flaps & Ailerons?

8 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

What is your opinion on building Ailerons and Flaps? I can go with wood ribs and fabric, or metal ribs and sheet aluminum - Looks like weight should be about the same either way.....Both would use metal trailing edge.

Haven't thought about 1mm plywood over wood ribs yet, like my new leading edge, but thinking about that too, covered with fabric. Don't think foam will do for the 14 inch width - got to have ribs to stiffen.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

If weight is not a factor either way I would think that the aluminum would be more durable. however if you already have a fabric wing you will treat it as such in use/storage and this shouldn't be a concern and you will probably already have enough covering materials left over to cover these as well so you may save some money to put back in the gas tank. guess i didn't help huh :dunno:

-Robert-

Posted

If weight is not a factor either way I would think that the aluminum would be more durable. however if you already have a fabric wing you will treat it as such in use/storage and this shouldn't be a concern and you will probably already have enough covering materials left over to cover these as well so you may save some money to put back in the gas tank. guess i didn't help huh :dunno:

-Robert-

Robert,

Thanks for answering anyway - I had hoped for more to respond, but it is a lot easier to "Kit-build" than to start designing or redesigning. I don't blame anyone for not taking on my headaches.

EDMO

Posted (edited)

-Robert-

Thanks Robert,

After some thought about all the work to finish metal nose ribs for the flaps and ailerons, and I have the rear tapered metal part already made, I am seriously considering making 1/4 inch plywood ribs and attaching the metal ribs to the wood ribs and partly gluing and partly riveting aluminum skin, which I already have, to them. I believe that will be the easiest and fastest way, although the wood ribs add weight.

I need to finish this bird and get back into the air while I still have a J3 chase plane.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I would keep to the method that the drawings used. Flutter can be a real problem here, and the results of flutter is not good.

larry

Posted (edited)

I would keep to the method that the drawings used. Flutter can be a real problem here, and the results of flutter is not good.

larry

Larry,

I have to make my own drawings. The Avids and Kitfoxes never had flaps and ailerons. I wish they had them. I am sure that Piper's and Cessna's type ribs will be stiffer than the foam in the Avid flaperons.

I know about flutter, and these will be internally balanced.

Thanks for writing,

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Ed, you might see if you can copy the Just Highlander; they are an Avid spinoff with flaps and ailerons

Posted (edited)

Thanks Randy,

Anyone know where I can get some good photos and info on that plane?

My controls are like the Wittman Tailwind: Tube within a tube, and push-pull tubes, but attaching to the modified original Avid rib extensions, like the old German planes.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri