Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Nicest evening of the summer so far.

9 posts in this topic

Posted

Six hours on my 503 after my 3rd rebuild. I'm now at 956hrs TT. I am running my engine at 6350 for cruising. It sure fllies much better at this rpm. This time around I had Brett at LEAF rebuild it for me.

post-56-0-00404200-1374633092_thumb.jpg

post-56-0-48567200-1374633143_thumb.jpg

post-56-0-06366200-1374633175_thumb.jpg

Posted (edited)

Nice looking bird in the soybean field - (Correction, an Obama Diesel Fuel field) -And, I noticed the Moonshine field in the background - Wondering how much the rebuild cost?

Were those photos of a mosquito pond, or a waterway?

SOOB ED MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Thanks Ed. Ya, we have booze plants all over southern Mn. But we can get booze free gas in just about every town around.  That is a picture of a local lake that is around 9 miles long. LEAF replaced every moving part in the engine, bored it out, rebuilt the gear box, fuel pump, both carbs, new plug wires, plugs and caps. $3900. So far my total rebuild costs have been around $7500 since 1996 and 956 hrs later. 

Posted

Awesome to see that many hours on one of these planes. It's amazing how many experimentals there are out there that are 10 years old with 150 hours on them. Isn't 6300 about wide open? I was lucky on my Powered Parachute my 503 cruised level at 4800 rpm. I could fly for 2 hours on the 6 gallon tank on the back of my seat and still have a little reserve. It was a single carb too.

Keep the pics coming!

Posted

I have heard very little about the 503 engine - Nice hearing of your high hours and success.

Photos look great - Looks like ideal state for floats. Think you could get a boatload of that non-booze gas down the river to Missouri?

Thanks for posting,

EDMO

Posted

Mine seems to like 6000 best for cruise at 85 mph true airspeed.  It is a Classic 4 kitfox with a 503.  I get a lot of caustic comments about my 503 but I love it.  The installation was just plug and play.  It hits 6700 wide open straight and level.  6250 full power climb at 60 mph 800 feet per minute solo.  The airplane is very sensitive to weight and density altitude, but the best feature is it is affordable for me.

Posted

Mine seems to like 6000 best for cruise at 85 mph true airspeed.  It is a Classic 4 kitfox with a 503.  I get a lot of caustic comments about my 503 but I love it.  The installation was just plug and play.  It hits 6700 wide open straight and level.  6250 full power climb at 60 mph 800 feet per minute solo.  The airplane is very sensitive to weight and density altitude, but the best feature is it is affordable for me.

Amen Brother!! Here's to your next 300hrs. :beer chug:

Posted (edited)

tcj,

Sounds like You have your 503 Kitfox for the same reason I have my 503 Avid. You are so right about the 503 installation, bolt it on and go. Its a simple light weight, good running and flying airplane that doesn't cost a arm and a leg to fly and own. With the pitch I have set on my IVO prop on take off I am turning around 6250. I set my cruise at 6300. With those settings my ground speed is about 71mph. Brett at LEAF said you can run the 503 at 6500 all day long. The only bad thing is I am burning around 5.5 gallons an hour. Not much range with my plastic tank inserts. They only hold 10.4 gallons. Don't get me wrong I still like other installations, but how I have mine set up works perfect for me, and it flies great. Sunday I took a freind for a ride. Me at 200lbs, him at 200lbs, and around 9 gallons of fuel made us real heavy. Under those conditions I have to run it close to wide open. On landing I like to come in under power because with the extra 200lbs in it it sinks like a rock on final. So I am flying it on to the runway. Seems this is much easier on the gear if you miss judge the flare a little, especially when your sink rate is that high. I'll have to post a video of take off, circle and land in 50 seconds.

Edited by Bandit