Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Max Structural Cruise

9 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Do any of you know if a max structural CRUISE has been published for the avid flyer stol.  Also what have you found to be the best V glide for an avid flyer stol at gross.

Thanks

Edited by AVID STOL HH

Posted

I dont know that they have been published anywhere, but based on interpolations from the various KF models, I would say that 85 MPH would be a good number for you to start with.. This is max structural cruise speed, not VNE.

http://www.avidfoxflyers.com/index.php?/topic/1164-manuvering-speeds/?hl=vne

http://www.avidfoxflyers.com/index.php?/topic/646-g-loading-for-mkiv-flyer/?hl=vne#entry3671

These two threads will give you some good info.

:BC:

Posted

Do you have a suggestion for the va speed.  I am getting ready for my checkride.

thanks

Posted

Leni,

What does VNO 85 mean to me.  Does that mean I cannot cruise at 90 or 105.   I was doing 105 up the mat valley river the other night. 

Thanks

Posted

at 85 your should be able to go to full control deflection and not rip the wings off or have any part of the airframe depart the rest of the structure.  What were you showing 105 on, the dream o meter ASI or GPS ground speed?  I can push mine up to 110 on the dream o meter, but over a measured course, multi directions on a no wind day it translates into 85-90 MPH over the ground on the GPS. 

There have been LOTS of days flying on floats that the ASI showed 85-90 and the GPS showed 125-130.  I do love a good tail wind.

At the end of the day, unless you have calibrated the ASI and have your pitot tube in the perfect location on the plane, your ASI is a guess o meter at best.  Mine is pretty close to the GPS at speeds below 60, but once I get over 60, it starts deviating expoentially from the GPS no matter what direction I fly.

Posted

I dont think twice about cruising above 85 MPH indicated.  Indicated air speed in our planes is a far cry from true air speed in 99% of our planes.  I would caution you on flying at the higher speeds if your getting tossed around by the famous valley winds.  There have been days that I was throttle back to 65 MPH and praying the wings stayed on, other days I have pushed it up till I hit the wall and she wouldnt go any faster as she was givn me all shes got captn..

Posted

My gps speed was 105.  pressure speed was about 65.  When I turned around I was doing 56 back into the wind. 

Posted

then your speed at which the airframe thought it was flying (airspeed) was around 65 MPH.  The GPS speed is the speed over the ground and has no relevance on the airframe really.   No worries at flying 105 on the GPS!

Posted

Va is maneuvering speed. Vno is Normal Operating speed. They are not the same. Normal operating range is generally depicted with a green arc on an airspeed indicator. There is a caution range which is in yellow. This speed is meant for smooth air. Maneuvering speed is the speed that abrupt control movements will cause the plane to stall before structural damage occurs. There is a max maneuvering speed set by the manufacturer. It is a speed computed at gross wieght. Maneuvering speed is reduced if you are flying below gross. Normal operating range for the Avid is stall speed to maximum structural cruise. Maximum structural cruise is normally the top of the green arc. Vne is the max speed or red line for the plane.

John