another plane crash about 30 min from my house

14 posts in this topic

Posted

I got a lesson in density altutude a week or so ago... It is not very often that we have to even think about it around here, but the Avid, at gross, on floats and 90 degree OAT is an attention getter!  It was a good wake up call for me as I have not even had to think about it for years.  I guess I will stop questioning guys who claim that 700' is the shortest they can get the Avid or KF off the ground.

Glad no one was hurt!

:BC:

Posted

Leni,

I remember Alaska - Density Altitude was not even on my mind up there - but I never flew to Fairbanks in the summer.

Did you see where the planes in Phoenix were grounded this week at 117 degrees - even passenger jets could not get a takeoff clearance because of DA.

We are so low here in the flatlands that we don't think about it very much until it gets near 100 degrees, or if we are flying West towards Mile-high Denver. Lots of our pilots here have never been across the Rockys either.

EDMO

Posted

Got a call at work this morning to send emergency resources to the Garden Valley airport for a small plane crash nobody was hurt thank God. http://www.ktvb.com/news/Small-plane-crashes-at-Garden-Valley-air-strip-213990041.html curious if the density altitude played a roll in the loss of engine power? its been in the mid to upper 90's

I saw the photo but cant identify the plane - Anyone know what it is?

EDMO

Posted

Leni,

Tell me more about that experience so I don't make the same mistake.

Posted

Dang that sucks! Glad they are okay. Idaho has had enough already this summer. Must of crashed because it's a taildragger and it was above 60 degrees out :hammerhead:

1 person likes this

Posted

Joey,   Doesn't that plane look familiar to you from BCP???  I would almost swear one of the BCP guys were going to ferry that plane to the new owner last year but didn't do it because of a few unexplained engine outs in it  :dunno:

Posted

From what I found online the plane was from Florida at some point but was up here in Idaho from Utah so it probably did recently get ferried to the new owner

Posted

Leni,

Tell me more about that experience so I don't make the same mistake.

The heat wave we had the last few weeks.  We do 90% of our flying in cold temps where the plane REALLY performs well.  Spots that I go into and out of in -20 to + 60 temps were out of the question on a 90 degree day.  The plane takes twice as long to get in the air and climb was poor at best! 

When I did the Edo float install on my plane I ended up getting in the maiden flight at 11:30 PM NO WIND and 60 degree OAT.  Solo she jumped off the water and climbed like it was on wheels.  I did a few turns around the lake and then came back to shore and loaded up my buddy at 230#.  My quest was to get two of us fat boys off the water in a respectable distance.  The take off with both of us was only about 200' longer and climb was still at 650 FPM with myself, my buddy and 18 gallons of gas.

The next day I head for the lodge.  I load up myself, the wife (almost 100 pounds lighter than my buddy) 28 gallons of gas and a few supplies.... But it was 89 degrees outside... Take off run she popped right up onto step, she broke water about 100' further down the lake than the previous night, but I could not climb and it felt really tail heavy.  I set it back down and went back to the beach and unloaded everything I could from the baggage and stuffed it into the nose of the floats.  This was about 40# of goodies. 

Second take off run was normal.  Right onto step, broke water nice, felt better in the air, but I was lucky to get 200 FPM climb. 

The next day, I took the 7 yr old kid from the lodge for a quick ride.  Just me, the kid that MAY weigh 50 pounds soaking wet and 20 gallons and 88-90 degree air temps... I was lucky to get 400 FPM climb.

three days later, loaded up me, the wife and luggage and now 18 gallons of gas and she popped right off the water and was back to 650+ FPM, on a cool over cast 63 degree day.

Posted

(almost 100 pounds lighter than my buddy) 

Good save, Leni..

Posted

Leni,

DA sux A! For the next 60-90 days it will be 90deg+ & 90% humidity around here, which sux!!! I watch my load real closely! Butt, the bikinis are MARVELOUS! Bryce

1 person likes this

Posted

Bryce, you hit on another major reason to fly floats!  There are alot more bikinis at the lakes than there are at airports :lol:

Posted

Bummer, he was only spittin' distance from the runway but at least no prop strike.