Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Got her put on ski's

16 posts in this topic

Posted

Yesterday was the first flight on ski's.  0 degrees and blue skys made for fun flying.  Engine and prop loves the cold air!

326_DSC02141_JPGdb0da106f65eebff0fb4dffa

Posted

Looks GOOD!  :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug:

Sure would like to get back up that way so I could play in the snow with my KF IV.  Can't do it for a couple more years though.  Got some bone problems (knees) that have to be taken care of first.

John Hart

KF IV, NSI Subaru

Wilburton, OK

Posted

Hope you get the knees taken care of!  been getting in much flying?

:beerchug:  :beerchug:  :beerchug:

Posted

few more shots from the other day

350_DSC02357-1_jpgd54ae7c40d12819b25746e

352_DSC02368_JPG551322340b0a4e2520e77958

Posted

few more of us playing

354_DSC02377_JPG79ffd1e71e935053960a4bb2

356_DSC02378_JPG6c430d9b20a24847ff684cb7

Posted

last ones for now

358_DSC02389_JPG917875efc7afd6b7bb3d7732

360_DSC02393_JPGbf81e8e98b60f756e475e6d8

Posted

Leni..., do I see VG's on the upper wings?  Any at the rear?

Do tell me more.

Posted

Leni..., do I see VG's on the upper wings?  Any at the rear?

Do tell me more.

you do you do lol... They are from www.landshorter.com  I put them on per directions and template they provided.  It was pertty close to a 5 MPH reduction in stall speed, the only thing it, you have to get the nose at a rediculously high deck angle to really feel and notice the VG's.  The stall, though very tame before the VGs is not pretty much non existant.  It just sort of mushes and wont really break.

I am WAY nose heavy according to Dean Wilson (thanks C5).  Right now I am around 12.5-13" and was plannin on going back to about 16".  Now I am going to move it back to 18" or so and try that.  Dean said I could go 20" and be fine.  He said short field will really improve if I move the CG back, and I probably wont be running out of elevator in the flair.

I have not put the Vg's under the stab yet, even though I have them in the tool box.  I will try to get around to that one of these days soon.  I will only be home about a week so I dont know if I will have time this trip in or not.

:BC:

Posted

18" --  Seriously?  How, move the motor behind the seats a-la P-39?

I go 230-ish pounds.  For me to fly an Avid this may be what's necessary!  :banghead:

Posted

18" is easily doable.  I was going 220-225 when I first started flying them... now down to 195 -200.  Move the battery further back in the tail, add lead to the tail spring etc.

Here is my take on what happend.  The avid was originaly designed with the cyuna 430 in the nose, very light air cooled.  As people kept wanting more and more out of hte plane to make it a CC cruiser etc, it got heavier, bigger engines inthenose, bigger gear boxes ect.  The 503, 582 912 and subies all added a shit load of weight up front.  To combat this, most guy added lead in the tail, or moved the battery to the tail etc.  Some stretched the fuse 16" to accomplish the same thing.  I have been looking at the majority of the specs guys have posted on the web and I see that most are running way close to the forward edge of the CG range that it published...... and they cant figure out for hte life of them why they run out of elevator in the flair.... cant figure out why the hell it takes 700' to get off the ground etc.  The published CG range on the "C" model is 10.2" to 16".  Mine is at 11.07" empty and 13" with me and full fuel.  Dean told me last week that they tested the CG to 37% with no ill effects, however, he figured there were going to be alot of low time pilots flying the plane so he put a VERY conservative CG range on it.  I am going to just use divers weights clamped to the tail spring to do some tests later this week and report the results.  Dean says ther will be a big difference in performace and stall with a more aft CG.  He did say he would not reccommend stalling the plane at 21" without having full flaps on.

I fly home tonight so weather permitting, I will get some testing done in the next couple days.  I will pu the hemet cam out on the wing so you guys can see what is going on with attitude etc in the stalls.

Posted

Sweet! Let us know the results. I'm curious as I will be doing W&B hopefully pretty soon.

Posted

So an Avid is not able to carry two standard FAA 170 pounders?  I just looked at one with  Cuyuna which I guess is an antique with parts not available. If I buy one I had planned to fly it solo now it sounds like thats all I could do. I need to search for some more W/B data.

Posted

NONONONONONO the plane was designed and will carry 2 adults.

Not sure where that came from.  I fly with 2 guys in mine all the time.  The avid will certainly carry them.  The issue is gross weight.  Did the builder puta full IFR pannel and auto pilot in it?  Dont laugh, it has been done!

Empty weight versus gross weight.  I have close to a 600# usefull load in mine.

Posted

I should have been more specific, will the airplane in standard form (no extras)carry 340 pounds of pax and be in C.G.?  Some of the original ads say 400 pound range of useful load. How many gals. is the behind the inst. panel fuel tank? Kevin 

Posted

I should have been more specific, will the airplane in standard form (no extras)carry 340 pounds of pax and be in C.G.?  Some of the original ads say 400 pound range of useful load. How many gals. is the behind the inst. panel fuel tank? Kevin 

YES,  atleast for mine, and my buddies A model you can put 2 people and fuel and fly safe.

The issue is not staying withing the published CG.  I am going outside the "published" CG to a more rearward CG for testing.  I am told by the designer that I can do this safely and that I will like the way it flys at the more rearward CG.  The plane is fine AS IS, I am just trying to get a little better short field performance out of her.

Posted

I can understand you wanting to have a grip on your shortfield performance and C.G. range where you live. Me, I will just be doing the EAA pancake breakfast STOL takeoffs.